Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
My youngest son stopped by today to help me drop the engine back on the K-member. All went well and the two are reunited! I need to get a new flexplate and then I can get the tranny attached.

pict2831-jpg.1714812733

View attachment PICT2831.jpg

pict2834-jpg.1714812734

View attachment PICT2834.jpg

pict2836-jpg.1714812735

View attachment PICT2836.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I always lay the flex plate onto the converter to see which way it lines up before I bolt it to the motor. I mark one converter tab and the corresponding flex plate bolt hole with paint after I get the holes lines up. I think I made up new cuss words the first time I did an R&R on a 727, and didn't know the converter to flex plate bolts will only line up one stinkin way....lol. With all of the work you've been doing on sub assemblies, your car should fly together when you get it back with fresh paint. :prayer:

I indexed the flexplate to the converter before the engine and tranny were joined. They went together without issue. I finished assembling the rest of the engine today. Also attached the control arm and strut rod assemblies without final torqueing.
My carb was restored by Scott Smith and it is a thing of beauty! Jim Ridge did my alternator at Dixie. I have nothing but the highest praises for both of these men.

pict2867-jpg.1714814579

View attachment PICT2867.jpg

pict2873-jpg.1714814580

View attachment PICT2873.jpg

pict2866-jpg.1714814581

View attachment PICT2866.jpg

pict2868-jpg.1714814582

View attachment PICT2868.jpg

pict2875-jpg.1714814583

View attachment PICT2875.jpg

pict2869-jpg.1714814584

View attachment PICT2869.jpg

pict2871-jpg.1714814585

View attachment PICT2871.jpg

pict2876-jpg.1714814586

View attachment PICT2876.jpg

Dang that's coming together very nicely. I wish I could say the same about my project.

Thanks John. I finally had to tell my body man to stop dragging his heels and finish his work. He has had the shell long enough and it's time for him to finish.

Adding Leanna's handiwork was like putting the cherry on top of the sundae! The engine assembly is complete. This was a major milestone for me. Something that I have wanted to do for almost 32 years.

pict2879-jpg.1714815858

View attachment PICT2879.jpg

Adding Leanna's handiwork was like putting the cherry on top of the sundae! The engine assembly is complete. This was a major milestone for me. Something that I have wanted to do for almost 32 years.

Awsome job Kevin and also a great job Leanna did as well!

Congratulations Kevin!!! It looks amazing! Thanks for letting me have a little hand in your build. :-D

Looks great Kevin! I am in the process of doing exactly what you have just done. I'm amost finished but keep running in to some small part or correct bolt I have to run down. I hope to install my motor this summer but no promises. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for looking Dave. I keep hoping that my body gets done soon. I'm running out of components to work on. I have some stainless steel trim to polish and a Rallye trim ring to restore. Really not much more than that to do.

Thanks for looking Dave. I keep hoping that my body gets done soon. I'm running out of components to work on. I have some stainless steel trim to polish and a Rallye trim ring to restore. Really not much more than that to do.

I got allot of parts over here I can send your way for you to work on if you get bored Kevin.:D

I would love to give you both a hand, but it looks like I'm going to be helping my brother with his '67 notch Barracuda once I finish my Duster.

I pressed in my offset control arm bushings tonight to gain more caster during alignment. All went well. Man I love my hydraulic shop press!
I'm planning on screwing in the ball joints once the arms are mounted to reduce the chances of bending them in a vise.

pict2888-jpg.1714818337

View attachment PICT2888.jpg

Everything is looking great, was there actually orange over spray on the alternator from the factory?

My alternator was restored by Jim Ridge at Dixie Restoration Parts. The orange is not overspray from painting the engine. It represents an inspection mark.

I worked on cleaning up a couple of disc brake brackets yesterday. Soaked them in Evaporust and treated them with RPM. I separated the front and back half of my 14 inch trim rings will begin the time consuming task of removing the "dings" and getting the edges smooth and polished.
This week, my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary. I can't say enough wonderful things about her. It was her encouragement that got me motivated to work on the car.She has been very supportive throughout this restoration........and she carted my new bumpers around at Spring Carlisle this year. She's a real keeper!!

photo-jpg.1714820775

View attachment photo.JPG

Congrats on your wedding anniversary Kevin! She's a keeper if she got 'ya motivated to restore the Duster!

-
Back