Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
It was an eventful weekend. The weatherman forecasted nice temps so I decided to paint my engine. I constructed a temporary paint booth in my garage using plastic sheeting and my electric garage door tracks. It assembled pretty much as I had planned with staples and packing tape. It cost me about $29.00 to assemble.
I used an HVLP paint gun that I bought some time ago to paint walls at home. The paint was Delstar Acrylic enamel purchased from Frank Badalson.
This was my first attempt at painting anything of this size on the Duster. I'm very pleased with how the engine looks. I even managed to duplicate a couple runs and drips just like the factory!
I'm looking forward to bolting the rest of the engine components on and dropping it back onto the K-member.

pict2780-jpg.jpg

View attachment PICT2780.jpg

pict2783-jpg.jpg

View attachment PICT2783.jpg

pict2784-jpg.jpg

View attachment PICT2784.jpg

pict2791-jpg.jpg

View attachment PICT2791.jpg

pict2792-jpg.jpg

View attachment PICT2792.jpg

pict2793-jpg.jpg

View attachment PICT2793.jpg

pict2794-jpg.jpg

View attachment PICT2794.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work! I like how meticulous you are with restoring all the pieces. Looks like the body shop is really moving along too, I bet you can't wait to get it back!

I am anxious to this car assembled. It's going to be fun putting the remaining engine pieces back on the painted assembly. I have a little engine paint left over. I noticed a couple of thin spots on the intake manifold that I am planning on touching up with my Preval sprayer.
I sent my strut rod washers to my local plater to have them zinc plated. I needed to sand down the originals and have them refinished as I couldn't find any reproduction washers anywhere.

Didn't have much time to work on the engine this weekend. I did get a couple brackets and pieces attached to the block. I'll post more pics once things are further along. I worked on my strut rod assemblies the other weekend. I couldn't find repro washers for an A body so i soaked the originals in Evaporust and tried to sand out as many pits as I could without losing detail. I had a local plater in Lancaster replate them in zinc type III for better durability. I'm pleased with the final product. It's a big difference from what the assembly looked like before restoration.

pict2797-jpg.1714809895

View attachment PICT2797.jpg

pict2799-jpg.1714809896

View attachment PICT2799.jpg

pict2801-jpg.1714809897

View attachment PICT2801.jpg

Thanks 813Demon340. It sure is fun to take a rust assembly and make it look like new. I just keep chugging along one sub assembly at a time.

Spring Carlisle was this weekend. I called Tri-City Plating to see if they had bumpers for the Duster. They said that they had a rear bumper but didn't have a front in stock. My wife and I made the drive from Lancaster to Carlisle with my old bumpers. I thought that I would give them the front core for pick-up at Chrysler's at Carlisle and take the new rear one home today.
Tri-City actually both bumpers at the show! They told me that a core came in from another show which they were able to process. it's kinda funny seeing the bumpers all bright and shiney. The originals have in bad shape for many years. They will look nice with a freshly painted body.

pict2804-jpg.1714810946

View attachment PICT2804.jpg

I took some time this AM to work on finishing the front engine assembly. I got the power steering assembly, alternator/ brackets, fan/ fan clutch assembly, and belts attached. The orange paint is nice but it looks so much better with a little black contrast.
Not much else to do at this point until I get the engine back on the K-member.

pict2806-jpg.1714811196

View attachment PICT2806.jpg

pict2807-jpg.1714811197

View attachment PICT2807.jpg

pict2808-jpg.1714811198

View attachment PICT2808.jpg

pict2809-jpg.1714811199

View attachment PICT2809.jpg

pict2810-jpg.1714811200

View attachment PICT2810.jpg

pict2811-jpg.1714811201

View attachment PICT2811.jpg

pict2813-jpg.1714811202

View attachment PICT2813.jpg

As always outstanding work...are you going to install the Engine/Transmission on the K frame/Front Suspension and install from the bottom as a complete assembly ?

Thanks 76orangewagon. I am going to mount the engine and tranny on the K-member and drop the body down over the assembly. It worked great getting the assembly out that way and I hope it works as well putting it back in.

Didn't have much time to work on the engine this weekend. I did get a couple brackets and pieces attached to the block. I'll post more pics once things are further along. I worked on my strut rod assemblies the other weekend. I couldn't find repro washers for an A body so i soaked the originals in Evaporust and tried to sand out as many pits as I could without losing detail. I had a local plater in Lancaster replate them in zinc type III for better durability. I'm pleased with the final product. It's a big difference from what the assembly looked like before restoration.

Nice work on the strut rods.
I would ditch the bushings you have. Get yourself a nice set of Moog strut rod bushings.
Much better performance for your aplication.

k7040-jpg.1714811293

View attachment k7040.jpg

I've seen those Moog strut rod bushings Johnny. What are the benefits over the original style? Could I use the bushings yet still retain the original end washers for a more original appearance?

Benefits ? Better design from Chrysler. Probably just more stout, with more rubber.The bushing I showed you, are actually the correct style bushing for your 70. The bushings you have in your pic are for an early A. My money says you got them in a rebuild kit ?

The end washers have some history to them as well. Originally Chrysler installed them cupped out, opposite of what you would think they go. The washer actually says "this side to rubber". Then Chrysler engineers (not sure what year) decided to flip the washers the other way, eventually adding a cotter pin as well. Having said all that, there seems to be a huge debate on this issue.

On my 65, I have the washers cupped out.
On my 70 I have them cupped in.

Thanks for the info Johnny. I purchased my front end kit from Springs and Things. My original bushings were ripped to shreds. The strut rod washers on my car had the cupped side toward the bushings and had a roll pin through the rod. The Moog bushings are pretty cheap. Looks like I'll get a set.

Johnny Dart convinced me to purchase the Moog strut rod bushings. Found them on RockAuto for $20.89 + shipping. I purchased a NOS power steering high pressure hose from Tony's yesterday. It should be arriving today! I'm hoping to get the engine on the K-member this weekend. After that is done, I should be able to get the carb and rest of the engine pieces attached.

Nice use of a steering shaft to help rotate your engine while on the stand.

Good looking work on it!

Thanks crackedback. I'll be using your dollies again whenever the body comes back from the shop.

-
Back