Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Did a minor project today. Pressed the lower control arm bushings in along with the pivots. I love using my shop press to take things apart and put them together!

pict2616-jpg.1714779463

View attachment PICT2616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks 813. I think I will try my hand at trying to install the poly bushings in the sway bar mounting brackets. From what I've read, it sounds like it should be a fun time.

Happy New Year everyone! Things have slowed down a bit on my build. The body man now has the front fenders/engine compartment, roof, and floors floors finished. He should be moving on to the trunk pan, rear quarters and tail panel soon.
The plan was to dyno my engine on Sat but air temp in our area was around 8-12 degrees. The engine man didn't want to run it in those temps :( The engine is on the dyno stand and ready to go. Hopefully, we can get her going this weekend.

Is your body guy taking pics of the work he's doing Kevin? You know just something to put into a photo album of the car's restoration.

Received notice from Firm Feel that my steering box and new torsion bars have shipped out. I'll need to prep and paint the box once it's delivered. Dick and the rest of the guys at Firm Feel have been wonderful to deal with.
My body man has been sending me occasional updates on his progress. He will be getting to the trunk and quarter panels soon.
I started taking night adult education classes this week at our local Career Technical Center. They offer basic welding classes and I decided to sign up. I've always wanted to learn how to weld and I figured that it was the best place to get the training. Maybe I can hone my skills enough to be able to replace rusted panels on my next car project.

The Duster's looking good so far. That's about how my Demon looks right now,but all my metalwork is done and waiting in line to be painted. One of these days I get some resto thread going.

John, it would be cool to see all three of your Demons together for a photo op when they are all completed.

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!
Today was a big day for me and the Duster. It was finally time to run the engine on the dyno. I've been anxiously waiting to see how the 340 performed with the rebuild. All-in-all the day was relatively uneventful:

One exhaust manifold stud needed to be repaired because of a coolant leak.
A Pertronix glitch required the use of another distributor.
A minor pesky coolant leak was detected at the front right corner of the intake manifold.

When all was said and done, the little 340 produced 312 hp and 324 lbfoot of torque. I'm very happy with those numbers. This was basically a stock build with factory carb, intake and exhaust manifolds. The only upgrades were a Lunati Voodoo cam and Comp roller lifters.

Start-up:

PICT2649 - YouTube

Final run:

PICT2653 - YouTube

pict2655-jpg.1714785473

View attachment PICT2655.jpg

pict2657-jpg.1714785474

View attachment PICT2657.jpg

My body man had the car blaster in West York, PA. The dyno is located at Godfrey Racing Engines in Yoe, PA.......near York.

Yes. I'm not sure who he uses for blasting. I can ask if you're interested.

Received a delivery of goodies from Firm Feel today! This delivery completes the last of my needed suspension components. I went with a Stage 3 Firm Feel box and 1.00 inch torsion bars. I will clean and degrease the box and then paint it black just like Ma Mopar did.

pict2667-jpg.1714786743

View attachment PICT2667.jpg

Hey Kevin,

have been meaning to send you a note. Can't wait to see your car you're doing amazing work on all of your components. Hopefully Keith can get some color on the Duster soon. I believe that he used 'Seifert's' out of E-town for the blasting that's where my roadrunner was done at least.

Keep up the great work. Hope to see the Duster on the road this summer.

Paul

Hi Paul
Thanks for the compliments. I'm very happy with how my car is coming along. Keith did tell me that he used Seiferts in Elizabethtown for media blasting. I hope that Keith gets moving along on the back half of the Duster. I really don't have much more to do until the body is complete.
How's the Road Runner coming along?

Hi Paul
Thanks for the compliments. I'm very happy with how my car is coming along. Keith did tell me that he used Seiferts in Elizabethtown for media blasting. I hope that Keith gets moving along on the back half of the Duster. I really don't have much more to do until the body is complete.
How's the Road Runner coming along?

You know Kevin, when I took my Demon up to Seiberts, there was a Duster in the shop waiting to be picked up from the blaster. That may have been your car. I guess that may have been back in September I guess.

-
Back