Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
I was just informed by a member on Moparts that I got my part numbers mixed up on
my hoses.:banghead:
Looks like I'll get an opportunity to practice my stamping technique another time.

I was just informed by a member on Moparts that I got my part numbers mixed up on my hoses.:banghead:Looks like I'll get an opportunity to practice my stamping technique another time.

That's too bad.....they still look good anyway. Back to the drawing board Kevin.

That's OK John. Compared to some of other things life has thrown at me, it's no big deal.

Im going to have to see this car in person some day. Im from central PA. This thing is going to look better than it did new. Looks like a very in depth and high quality build.

I'm trying to do my best on the restoration. You're more than welcome to stop around when you are in the area.

Got the correct numbers on the hoses tonight.

pict2452-jpg.1714760628

View attachment PICT2452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up JD. I'm glad I posted that picture, Looks like I will be doing a little tearing apart. I'm glad you guys are helping to keep an eye on me.

Number 8 is upside down. That screw up kept me awake all night long! It reminds me of writing term papers that you proof read multiple times and find no mistakes. However, nine time out of ten when someone else reviews it they find errors. I will need to double check that the machinist assembled the piston and connecting rod correctly.

Glad that's the only one, and that's an easy thing to do. It's even easier to do on the later, lower compression pistons in the 72-73 340's since they have 4 valve reliefs. IIRC, there should be a notch in the top of the piston that faces forward, and the stamped number on the rod/cap should face towards the outside of the block instead of facing towards the main caps. It won't take you 15 minutes to fix it.....so get some coffee and try to stay awake if you're doing Heel Spur surgery today! :D

I'm not doing any surgery today......that's on Friday. These Keith Black pistons did not have any notches on the top of the pistons. I know it won't take long to fix but I'm bummed that I got that slug in the wrong way.
I've never done any work on a car to this extent and I'm flying solo on this build. That's why it's so important for me to post my progress on FABO. This site has been invaluable for information and help. I have certainly gotten my monies worth out of my gold membership

Cylinder heads are on and torqued down. Oil pan is attached........hopefully leak free! Just have to use my push rod checker to determine proper length and then I can get the rest of the engine assembled.

pict2498-jpg.1714763708

View attachment PICT2498.jpg

Did a little work on the engine tonight. I got the exhaust manifolds and right angle oil filter adapter installed. I measure my pushrod length over the weekend and I'm waiting on them to arrive. It shouldn't take long to get the rest of the engine assembled. Afterwards, it will be prep time for the orange paint.

pict2502-jpg.1714764827

View attachment PICT2502.jpg

pict2505-jpg.1714764828

View attachment PICT2505.jpg

I plan on doing that John. I'll add the video clip to this thread afterwards.

Cool! I'm also anxious to find out how you did putting it back together. I'm sure the suspense is killing you?

-
Back