Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
WOW! Another awesome resto.

So Doc, what're you gonna do, drive it or put it in a museum?? :-D Congrats on your progress!!!!

I just finished going through all the pics and must say you are really doing a excellent job and your attention to the details is to be commended. Looking forward to more progress pictures.:thumrigh:

Thanks for the compliments. Believe it or not, I do intend to drive this car after it's completed. My wife wants to make a cross country trip in the car for her 50th birthday celebration and that's what we're gonna do. I'm not really into the show scene but I am trying to restore the old girl to show quality.

Took care of some minor things with the car this weekend. My sun visors were in pretty good shape except for the hinge paint and rotting thread around the seam. I repainted the hinge with Krylon dull aluminum and replaced the rubber tips. I purchased a "Speedy Stitcher" at my local A.C. Moore store (for a whopping $16.00) and hand stitched through the original holes. Not a speedy process by any means but it was a perfect job to do on the deck while sipping a rum punch. I only stuck myself 2 times!!
I have been watching videos and reading up on how to upholster the front and rear seats. My brother has volunteered to give me a hand with the job. He will be coming up to PA so that we can attend Chryslers at Carlisle on Friday. Saturday we will get working on the seats.
My car originally had a standard black split bench but I am going to upgrade to a split bench with armrest. I need to decide on whether I will go with an all black interior or chose the black with charcoal inserts. Right now, I'm leaning towards black/ charcoal. I will probably order an interior package from Dante's once I make my final decision.

pict2321_fixed-jpg.1714726926

View attachment PICT2321_fixed.jpg

pict2323_fixed-jpg.1714726927

View attachment PICT2323_fixed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a proper date coded coil dry transfer from ECS the other day. I'm happy with how it came out.......very easy to do. The countdown to Chrysler's at Carlisle is beginning and I'm excited! I ordered a interior kit from Dante's and will be picking it up at the show. My brother and I will be upholstering the seats next Saturday. Things are starting to come together I also will be picking up a windshield from Stephen's Performance. With my Moparts discount, I got it for $192. That saved me approximately $200 in shipping and boxing fees. More money in my pocket to buy more goodies.

pict2325_fixed-jpg.1714733966

View attachment PICT2325_fixed.jpg

I've got another thread going on FABO regarding my 340 engine build. Right now, I'm trying to decide on my cam. Looks like choices are down to Comp EX268 or Lunati Voodoo 60402. I am also going to look at what Howard's has to offer that would compare to those bump sticks.

It has been a Mopar weekend. My brother and my 17 year-old son had a full day at Carlisle yesterday. We got there just after the gates opened and left just after 5PM. I found some used parts for my resto and also picked up my interior kit from Dante.
My bro and I got working on recovering the seat early this morning. Neither one of us have ever done auto upholstery before but we were up for the challenge of rebuilding the Duster's seats and putting new Legendary covers on.
Both of us watched Legendary's YouTube tutorial videos

68 Road Runner(1/3) - YouTube

1969 Dodge Charger Hardtop Rear Seat Cover Installation - YouTube

and we took our time. We got the back seat done before he had to head back to MD. I was very impressed with the installation kit and the seat cover quality. I am really pleased with the finished product.

pict2339_fixed-jpg.1714735743

View attachment PICT2339_fixed.jpg

Yep, the Legendary videos are great resources! I just finished my seats ('70 Duster)in the standard style skins in metallic blue from Legendary. I had a local shop install them. I wouldn't have any hesitation tacking this with adequate space and time! Your cars is coming along Great!

Thanks Valleyant. Working on my car has been the best therapy for me. I'm getting anxious to get her back on the street.

I finally finished the rest of the front seat today. I will say that the front seat backs were probably the most challenging part of the seat rebuilding process. I had to redo the drivers side 3 times before I got it to where I liked it. One more thing to check off on my skills list!

pict2359_fixed-jpg.1714739750

View attachment PICT2359_fixed.jpg

pict2361_fixed-jpg.1714739751

View attachment PICT2361_fixed.jpg

Thanks Caleb. I've waited many years to see how those seats were going to turn out. I'm really happy with the final outcome.

Thanks 813Demon. Your resto thread was a big inspiration to me. I still look back at it from time to time. I see you have another project going.

I finally finished the rest of the front seat today. I will say that the front seat backs were probably the most challenging part of the seat rebuilding process. I had to redo the drivers side 3 times before I got it to where I liked it. One more thing to check off on my skills list!

:thumblef:

Work has eaten up a lot of my free time lately. Haven't done much on the Duster. I did track down a very nice driver side wiper pivot. I plan on installing a Schumaker pivot kit on both pivots soon.
We had a Miller family reunion last weekend. My cousin forwarded me some pics of my father with his convertible mopar. He passed away in 1984 at age 52. It's sad that we can't enjoy car moments together. Thought that you all might enjoy seeing the picture

img_20140823_0007-jpg.1714748714

View attachment IMG_20140823_0007.jpg

The seats turned out very nice.

Thanks Sag. I'm happy with the way they look. I'm going to take some time later tonight to look over your build thread.

Your seats look really nice. :prayer: Did the new covers come with the seat medallions, or did you have to remove them from the old covers? I will be using the exact same covers in my 70 Duster, and haven't even researched them yet.

JD the seat covers do not come with medallions. I removed them from the weather tattered originals. One of my medallions had a broken pin. I tried to locate a match but was never successful. I believe that they can be difficult to track down if you don't have any.

Thanks.....and just my luck! I'm swapping to the fancy seats from the cheap seats. My seat has been recovered once, and the old cover is underneath.... so I'm heading out to the garage with a razor blade to see if I'm lucky. Even if I do get lucky on the front seat, I will have to find some for the back seat. :banghead:

I really like the Deluxe interior seat covers. Hopefully, the fronts will be buried on your old covers. Maybe a member on FABO could help you with the rear seat medallions. I posted a wanted ad but never got a response. Good luck.

The part number on my medallions was 2981978. Maybe that will help you track some down.

-
Back