Finally got my rims mounted with no issues

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Got these rims from a member here, they were made in 1970! Put new tires on them, only to find at first that the right side front tire would hit on bumps. Moved the fender brace and rolled the lower fender lip and that was taken care of, but then found that the upper control arms were actually hitting the wheel. I am going to have to rebuild the whole front end at some point but I just don't have the money for it right now. But I was able to use some washers as spacers, all I needed was about 3/32" to move the wheel away from the upper control arm. Took it for a test ride and it works, no clearance issues. Despite 40 year old suspension the car still rides pretty nice.

The car is perfectly drivable but it's going to need new leaf springs, front end rebuilt, motor mounts, a little bodywork and some day, a paint job.

100_1150a.jpg

The new rims look great. I understand about having issues, all you want is to drive with new rims but then you have problems to sort out.

I forgot to mention the fact that I had to change all the studs on the left side :angry7: and also I have to put the center caps on the wheels on the other side, need a screw for the back and I need to figure out how to make sure the front center cap is secure- the rim is damaged where the cap attaches.

-
Back