Finally have fuel from pump. Won't start after I turn off

-

piperdrums

Reaction score
My 65 Cuda has fuel from the pump now and runs just fine after I give it a shot of carb cleaner. Drove it around the neighborhood and it ran great, turned it off in my drive way would not start unless I sprayed carb cleaner in the carb to get it started. Car runs fine once started but if I turn it off it won't start unless I give it a shot of carb cleaner. ?????? Help

All I can say is with mine it is pump gas pedal twice and she starts right up with regular manual fuel pump. Its an early 70's 318. I am sure this is no help but should not need starter fluid to get her rolling. I can say after its been sitting a long time in winter once and awhile I do need a little spurt of go juice to get mine started occasionally, but only then. Warm weather she starts every time.

65CudaLover

You have to determine if it's not starting because of lack of fuel, too much fuel, or spark related (not strong enough, or timing off).

Try stroking the carb linkage before you start the car warm. See if you are getting a good shot of gas. (do this before cranking it over, as cranking it may cause the fuel pump to pump fuel into the carb to "fool" you if you check after cranking.)

If the carb is "flooded", just hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the starter until the engine fires. You don't have to wait if it's flooded for it to start, just hold the pedal to the floor and keep cranking.

Let's start there and "work our way" up....

Someone had trouble with a car starting warm a while back, and it turned out that one of the hose clamps on the fuel line was leaking and allowing the carb to drain while it was sitting.

Check all of your hoses and clamps on the fuel line, especially from the pump to the carb (and any filter in between).

pumped the gas pedal a few times after it's warm. It starts then dies right away, spray carb cleaner in the carb and it starts right up. Also tried keeping the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, but it will not start. This must be a carburetor issue?

pumped the gas pedal a few times after it's warm. It starts then dies right away, spray carb cleaner in the carb and it starts right up. Also tried keeping the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, but it will not start. This must be a carburetor issue?

It's starting to sound like not enough fuel at start to me.

Try pouring some gas down the carb with a jar with the throttles wide open, then go in and hold the pedal to the floor and crank it until it starts.

Does it run longer before dying?

Does it keep running?

I did pour a little fuel down the carb, it starts up and than I can keep it running, even drive it around. But when I turn the car off, I cannot start it again with out squirting a little fuel or carb cleaner down the carb. ???? driving me crazy.

I bought this 2bbl bendix Stromberg on ebay and it seemed to run ok. Is there another brand of carburetor I can use instead of this carb? Carter? just asking.

I bought this 2bbl bendix Stromberg on ebay and it seemed to run ok. Is there another brand of carburetor I can use instead of this carb? Carter? just asking.

What are you running? Slant 6? Small block?

I did pour a little fuel down the carb, it starts up and than I can keep it running, even drive it around. But when I turn the car off, I cannot start it again with out squirting a little fuel or carb cleaner down the carb. ???? driving me crazy.

Ok, that indicates that your carb bowl may be draining when you shut it off.

Look for leaks under the carb and around the fuel line.

It sounds like once you pour gas down the carb and get it through the "dry spot", that the fuel pump has a chance to fill the carb bowl and keep it running. You don't have enough gas for a "dry start" in the bowl.

If it were me, I would look for an old Edelbrock D4b, NOT LD4B, the D4B is special made for your special intake bolt angles (64-65 only). Then put a Holley 80457 carb with electric choke on it.

The LD4B is made for the later 273/318 intake bolt angle and will not fit your engine if it is all stock.

That is if you feel like giving up on the 2 bbl.

there is fuel leaking from one of the screws under the carb bowl, but it is not leaking enough to drain the bowl completely. Are the two screws the jets?

I'm not familiar with your carb, only the stock ones....

Sorry, I can't help you there....

No matter how many times it comes up a loose clamp or fuel line leak will NOT drain the carb.
It is physically impossible unless the needle and seat are at the bottom of the fuel bowl, and I have never seen one built like that.

Sounds like too low of fuel pressure. Iv'e seen this with failed pump diaphrams. will run once going but will not maintain fuel pressure under slow operation. like starting

Start it and look for a vacuum leak. Maybe adding fuel at start up is covering up the problem. Fix the carb leak, the bowl doesn't need to be empty to cause a problem.

-
Back