Finally installed windshield

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Aaron's Duster was leaking somewhere around the windshield, so we needed to fix that before installing the new interior. Here are some pics to show the process we went through.

First thing to do was a little rust repair on the A-pillars and lower channel in one corner. With the two projects we have built, Aaron has learned a lot about using kitty hair fiberglass, Bondo, and JB Weld. Now is also a good time to repaint the dash. You can see why it was probably leaking in the pic where I have the gasket pulled back - no sealant under there.

By the way, this last pic answers the question from those who have asked how to remove their dash. You can see one of the mounting bolts that are tucked under the windshield gasket.

Windshield Replaced 02.JPG

Windshield Replaced 03.JPG

Windshield Replaced 04.JPG

Windshield Replaced 05.JPG

Windshield Replaced 06.JPG

Windshield Replaced 08.JPG

Windshield Replaced 07.JPG

Some folks were wondering how to remove a windshield. This is how we did it on the Duster. Using a utility knife, cut off the outer surface of the gasket. We have a nylon window installation tool that is used to slide between the glass and gasket to break loose the old seal. Then, it's just a simple matter to get someone on each side and carefully push the window out the front of the opening. Finally, peel off the remainder of the gasket.

Windshield Replaced 10.JPG

Windshield Replaced 11.JPG

Windshield Replaced 12.JPG

Windshield Replaced 09.JPG

Windshield Replaced 01.JPG

Windshield Replaced 13.JPG

We used black Permatex adhesive sealant. One bead is applied inside the groove that receives the glass, another bead is applied to the groove that will fit over the window channel rail. Another 3/8" bead is applied to the bottom of the window opening along the surface that has no rail - here, the gasket's groove is placed over the four small tabs of sheet metal. A little duct tape is useful to prevent the gasket from sliding off the upper edge of the channel while the glass is set into place. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the final step where the glass is worked into the gasket (my hands were occupied at the time). You definitely want to acquire a nylon or fiber tool used for fixed glass installation. Once the glass is in the gasket, we applied another small bead of sealant between the rubber and glass before pressing a locking strip into it's groove to tighten up the seal (a special tool for that purpose is available).

Windshield Replaced 15.JPG

Windshield Replaced 16.JPG

Windshield Replaced 17.JPG

Windshield Replaced 18.JPG

Windshield Replaced 19.JPG

Good post '74 Sport. I notice you used sealant on the gasket. I had wonderd about this and my paint friend said I didn't need it. But if it seals everything better then why not?

What we did, and what I am describing, is the instructions taken from pages 7-3 and 7-4 of the Factory Service Manual for a '74 Dart Sport. This is what we did to Aaron's Dart Sport, and it hasn't leaked a drop in over three years.
As you can see in the last one of the first series of pics above, there was absolutely no sealant under the gasket along the cowl. A carefully controlled water test indicated that was the area that had the leak. There was no rust-through along the window channel, so I have to assume it was seeping up under the gasket and finding its way in behind the dash.

Nice work. I'm going to be replacing the windshield in my 70 Duster and your post is very helpful. Thanks!

Take a look at this other thread running parallel to this one. It has other pictures and info on the windshield gasket and locking strip. I got them from Just Mopar. Go there for current pricing. Call them and you'll be talking to Fran Bishop, very nice guy and extremely helpful.

I've also bought some from Hardens Muscle Car World. Again, very nice folks. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $20 for the reveal clips. Most of yours are probably rusted through or the screws are melted away to a blob.

Jerry

-
Back