Finally Put Electric Power Steering In My Dart

-

superchargeddrt

Reaction score
We'll after waiting for the cruise season to end I finally (with the help of my good friends) I got my Flaming River electric power steering installed. The first thing in the mechanical instructions is "Installation is easy". It's easy if you're a fabricator/welder, luckily my buddy Larry is (64mopar on here). I've got to say that although I haven't driven my Dart yet I can now turn my manual steering with on finger. Can't wait to try it on the road. Here's a picture of what the completed column looks like. I will take a few under dash pictures later.

IMG_20221203_162649151_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221203_131506472.jpg

When installed, does the motor go towards the passenger side?

I hope you post some installed pics.

A thread like this needs a LOT more input from the OP.
Pictures. Descriptions. Part numbers. Prices.

Inquiring minds want to know. I have a newer car with electric PS, and it works flawlessly. The PS in my 69 is a little sloppy and that is with a completely rebuilt front end and a rebuilt steering box. I would be interested. I hope @superchargeddrt posts some more information and pictures.

Inquiring minds want to know. I have a newer car with electric PS, and it works flawlessly. The PS in my 69 is a little sloppy and that is with a completely rebuilt front end and a rebuilt steering box. I would be interested. I hope @superchargeddrt posts some more information and pictures.
I will take a few more pictures when I get back home from this business trip. I used the Flaming River kit. (about $1,500.00). I know a lot of people say you can do this on the cheap by using the motor assembly out of a Toyota Prius but I didn't want to take any chances. The kit comes with the motor, motor driver box and a sensitivity control. This kit also allows for the installation of a wheel or driveshaft sensor so you can cut down the assist when moving (I haven't bought into that yet, lets see how it feels on the road. I'm just waiting for a dry day). You will also have to buy a D shaft coupler and a universal joint from Borgeson (another $100.00). The only downside I have is that, try as we might, we couldn't mount the motor under the dash without blocking my floor vent. It only opens about an inch now. My buddy Larry also made some side covers for my gauge panel as I just Velcroed my control box to the carpet. I'll post the pictures of that now as they're on my phone.

IMG_20221210_201732794.jpg

IMG_20221210_201613838.jpg

Okay,
So I tried the power steering and it's AWESOME! I had the sensitivity control set to 1/4 and it was plenty. No trouble maneuvering when sitting still or moving slowly. Here's a few more pics

IMG_20221214_123312439.jpg

IMG_20221214_123735351.jpg

IMG_20221214_123745300.jpg

IMG_20221214_123752342.jpg

IMG_20221214_123759506.jpg

IMG_20221214_123301537.jpg

Nice. If my car would not have come from the factory with power steering this is how I would go too. I do like the feel of electric power steering in the new cars. Thanks for the info.

I will take a few more pictures when I get back home from this business trip. I used the Flaming River kit. (about $1,500.00). I know a lot of people say you can do this on the cheap by using the motor assembly out of a Toyota Prius but I didn't want to take any chances. The kit comes with the motor, motor driver box and a sensitivity control. This kit also allows for the installation of a wheel or driveshaft sensor so you can cut down the assist when moving (I haven't bought into that yet, lets see how it feels on the road. I'm just waiting for a dry day). You will also have to buy a D shaft coupler and a universal joint from Borgeson (another $100.00). The only downside I have is that, try as we might, we couldn't mount the motor under the dash without blocking my floor vent. It only opens about an inch now. My buddy Larry also made some side covers for my gauge panel as I just Velcroed my control box to the carpet. I'll post the pictures of that now as they're on my phone.

View attachment 1716021681

View attachment 1716021682
When you say the motor blocks the floor vent, do you mean it blocks the ram air box vent that is by the driver side kick panel?

Where did you buy this? This obviously has a control module, where did you get IT?

Where did you buy this? This obviously has a control module, where did you get IT?
Where did you buy this? This has a control module, where did you get IT?
Ii bought it from Summit. I've had it for several months sitting on the bench waiting while we built an engine for a friend of mines Dart Sport. I have a video that I took today but I have to post it to my YouTube page.

I can see the value of this if you use a 16 to 1 steering box. That would actually be a really good setup.
This upgrade with the standard 24 to 1 chuck?

1 HHuh.jpg

That would seem weird. 5 1/2 turns lock to lock with boost?

I can see the value of this if you use a 16 to 1 steering box. That would actually be a really good setup.
This upgrade with the standard 24 to 1 chuck?

View attachment 1716022270

That would seem weird. 5 1/2 turns lock to lock with boost?
I'm considering the Borgeson box as well. The factory box isn't all that bad when you keep the assist at about 1/4 of scale.

Also if you add the wheel sensor you can have 2 different levels of assist. One for when you're driving and one for parking lots

Looks like a really nice, clean install. I like it!

Thanks for posting the details. I was doing some searching, and found this nice write up on alternative sources for stand alone steering boosters which do not need an expensive controller. They will operate "it is claimed" in fail safe mode just fine

I figured they'd come up with some way to add electric PS to an older car.... But with my experience with it in my job, on cars and trucks equipped that way from the factory, I have to say "no thanks". Give me the old pump, belt and hoses.....please.

I figured they'd come up with some way to add electric PS to an older car.... But with my experience with it in my job, on cars and trucks equipped that way from the factory, I have to say "no thanks". Give me the old pump, belt and hoses.....please.
This theory would be fine---if they fit--with headers--and an RB, etc etc I actually feel the same way as you, generally, but this electric stuff is fairly proven technology by now.

This theory would be fine---if they fit--with headers--and an RB, etc etc I actually feel the same way as you, generally, but this electric stuff is fairly proven technology by now.
I feel the same. It is pretty proven and the fact that I pretty much trashed all of the original parts 40 years ago (power steering didn't pertain to going fast and it was in the road of my cheap Eagle chrome headers), off it went. Fast-forward to today and I'd REALLY like my power steering back (getting old LOL) and this looks like a much better option than locating all of the original stuff. Also makes for a cleaner looking engine compartment.

-
Back