FINALLY! Roller 360 donor rig purchased...

-

bighammer

Reaction score
After many exhausted leads, I finally brought home this 1989 250. The truck came with tons of receipts from the 3 owners. It has 116k miles on it, but less than 30k on a reman 360! Paperwork shows it got a remanufactured long block at 78k miles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 334
moving right along.....hope that REMAN block was a Roller 360 Block.

Any Pics?

Now you got me a little nervous... I assumed that the mechanic would have ordered the correct replacement... but then again who knows. I will try to confirm, but I just got it last night, and I couldnt see what the casting numbers are.

Check them casting numbers...should be a roller motor, unless they just threw in any old 360

Okay, I think all is well with it being a roller cam. The block casting on passenger side says 15*2*90. On the driver side it is cast 53006821-360

This is a TBI engine, it has a tag riveted to the passenger side that says "manufactured with pride by Hi-Tech / Ser #k5610"

:thumbrig::thumbrig: I'm a happy camper!

Great big "thanks" go out to you guys, especially Prine, 1970Duster, dart_doctor, abodyjoe, abodybomber, mwls73duster360, ssvdp, poisondart74, and so on... Lol you know who you are! I said it before, you guys are awesome.

Mark

BTW the paperwork I got has the work order from when the engine was replaced. The owner stated "makes a noise in the morning, smokes when first started, leaks oil" this was @ 78k miles. The engine was replaced at that time.

You bought a WHOLE truck just to get a reman 360 roller block? How much did you spend on it? What are your plans for the rest of the truck?

Yep, bought the whole truck just for the engine. You wouldn't believe how many dead ends I met in trying to buy a good running engine. I was very close to pulling the trigger on an engine online from SWEngines (online) They had an impressive website, they offered a great sounding warranty. But I found a ton of complaints from people that tried to use their warranty due to a bad engine.

I called the company, tried to get more info on the engine they wanted to sell me, but all I got was the run around. Nobody could give me any info on it. They said it was compression tested, leak down tested, and oil pressure tested, but none of the test results were available for me to consider. They transferred me to 3 different people who all assured me the engine meets factory spec's.

I found so many complaints against the company, I backed off. I think all they are doing is taking the engines from wrecked cars, cleaning them up, and selling them as tested. In order to get a replacement engine in the event you get a bad one, you have to ship the first one back at your expense, and they will send you another one.

The truck I bought only cost me $1000. I got to hear it run, drove it, etc. I have a stack of maintenance records with it. The engine purrs! :burnout: and now I have what I know to be a good running engine with a ton of spare parts wrapped around it!

You'll break even for sure on that motor, but I'm curious....why not get a Magnum mill?

That is what I set out to do, I was going to go with a magnum, but I decided to just look for the best, low mile 360 I could find, whether it was a Magnum or LA block. The LA block is still a roller cam, so I felt good about going that route. I think there are more options as far as bolt on, aftermarket accessories as well.

The LA block is still a roller cam, so I felt good about going that route. I think there are more options as far as bolt on, aftermarket accessories as well.

I agree, I went that way myself.

This local guy can't give his roller engine away. It's been listed for over a month now.

Kansas City Craigslist ad

I'm surprised the guy hasn't sold this yet, it's the THIRD time I've listed it here. I thought for sure some FABO member in the Mid-West could use a good cheap engine?!?

I wish you were closer, I'd give you $500 for the truck.

I'm all about the Rollamota, but I really enjoy one belt and that late-model alternator and all that. Sad to say, Magnum swaps for life, until late-model Hemi swaps get easier.

-
Back