finally starting

-

seventyswinger

Reaction score
well after six long years off storage it finally starts with other responsabillities and family stuff this got put on the back burner and these are the results it husts me some times to even look at the amount of rust on this car because of the vinyl top. some times it's discouraging (spelling ? ) thanks let me know what you guys think . the last pic is what has been done so far within 3 days more to come as time and money permit:hello2:

IMG00064.jpg

IMG00067.jpg

IMG00069.jpg

IMG00061.jpg

WOW!! That's a lot of rust. You're a brave man to even tackle it, but it can be done. Personally, I'd find a donor car and get a complete roof, hood, and the filler panel between the rear window and trunk lid. With good metal in those areas, then it's just another typical A body resto. Good luck.

Thanks for the comment I know it looks really rough it may go up for sale on eBay if I can't find a donor car

I agree with Sid, thats a lot of work to be done, and a complete roof, hood, and rear panel from a donor car would most likely be your best bet. Is the car a rare model or high performance car, or a standard model. Reason I ask is because you may be ahead looking for a better body if this one is not special package, and save all the good stuff from this one. JMO, Mike

Hey Man that looks rough but hey look at what you accomplished with the floor! thats not bad at all. If I read it correctly you said that is a recent repair correct. If so Id just go find a donar car and continue on. Hell it sat for 6 years already why not keep it around and fix it up. Ya have to realize the A bodies are becoming more popular than ever. Assuming this one is paid for, it may be cheaper to keep her! Good luck and take your time so you dont end up like me. (Get it running quickly and not fully check things out, only to get about 200 miles out of it before it breaks again!) (Killed the torqueflite)

OH LORDY! Best get yourself a tetnus shot tomorrow before you start. If you can fix that, my hats off to you. :prayer:

Valiantmike no its not a social model just a regular slant six originally white with black interior nothing rare about it 4mulasvaliant thanks for the comment I know it will take me a very long time if I find a donor I do have some leads flyboy01 going to get a shot ASAP.

well got some more stuff, started working on drivers side floor and engine compartment shot and also got the heater core out since it won't be used here in miami where we get 88 deg. weather in the winter time i will put a delete plate there and in it's place since there is room now i was thinking of installing the msd6 in that location. just waiting for parts to arrive to do work on the other stuff. i have decided that the hood will be replaced with the fiberglass sixpack unit from aar since it's a short 4 hour trip for me so that gets rid of ALOT of work for me thanks for viewing comments are welcome.:toothy10:

IMG00073.jpg

IMG00074.jpg

IMG00075.jpg

I don't want to be a downer but in all honesty you should run away from it, anything can be fixed but given that you say it isn't a rare car, use IT as the doner and find a solid car. The rust extends way past where you see it, you'll be chasing your tail. Sorry, just by 2 cents. I've been there and done that and it just isn't fun :banghead: and I'm the guy that says he likes bodywork.
If you do go ahead with it and get it done, you'll be my hero too :prayer:

I will be doing what 4mulasvaliant said just keep going at it slowly get look what they did with the great white brick if he could do it so can I

If you enjoy working on a long term project, you certainly have one. You seem to have the welding skills to do this. A doner car would be an asset. Keep a watch on Craigs list and Ebay for local car, and you might get lucky. Good luck. Howard

wow! you have your hands full there... by the time you add all the time and money you are gonna have to put into that to fix it would be cheaper to find another car and use that one for parts.

hey guys got some work done yesterday finished the front floor section and started taking things apart to replace the whole quarter panel from door jam to tail light just waiting for the parts to come in. also took off the front grill and passenger side front fender is almost ready to come off just has four screws holding it in thanks for lookiing and have fun restoring.

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00080.jpg

IMG00081.jpg

IMG00088.jpg

Well, since I couldn't talk you out of it, I may as well cheer you on :grin:

Thanks at first I was a little upset at the damage and started to lose interest but seeing the prices down here going up and that mine is the only one in my town that I have seen keeps me going as well as looking at whatevery one else has is encourageing

Same here seventyswinger!! I have been watching your work and I think
You have what it takes to get her dun.
And yes!! There is allot of encourageing folks here and I will agree that
you have your hands full, But something tells me our hats will come off to you.
Hang in there and enjoy, Keep us posted on this life saving job you are dooing.

That is a gonna be a lot of work but you seem to be getting it taken care of so good luck with. Seems like it has some history with you and it means a lot to you if you want to fix it and not look for another car so i say go for it and have fun I have a duster that needs a lot of work on the quarters but the rest of the car is in good shape and everyone keeps telling me to get another car some people will just never understand what a car means to you. You may be able to get another one that looks the same but if the one you have is special to you it cant be replaced good luck and have fun with it

Thanks for the comments this car may not be a special model like an l23 car or a 340 but it does have a special meaning so it also means its another mopar that didn't go to the junk yard in the sky now a days the tools are available and the material so I say build it and drive it till it dies then rebuild. Yes too bad I don't live further north as I have heard that there are better junk yards well I guess it means I may have to search for something in north Florida. Thanks for the comments.

Like IndianaDodge said. I live in KY about an hour from Evansville IN. and I know of 2 early 70's Swingers and one has a good looking top the other was hit by a tree on one side. I say just take one step at a time and you will get there. But that top would scare me. Good luck

Hey seventyswinger,
Your are a real hero! Way to go saving another one from the crusher man. Keep everyone informed of your progress, someone out here reading your updates may know of parts cars near you. You are the man!
A friend here in Chattanooga (east, TN) just got a 1971 Swinger project car & then came across a parts car
locally (it has a big hole in it's roof). So there are parts cars out there.

yup saving another from the crusher,i know its been awhile since i last posted but no new updates i have been on a much needed vacation so work will begin again soon.

Hi Seventyswinger,
Good to hear from you on your project car. I ran across these folks in the panhandle of FL, "StripMasters" in Milton. They restore Mopars, maybe they have some leftover body pieces that you might need for patches. Looking under gallery two, they have rerstored a couple of 70 model Darts.
Do you need A/C ? There is a company in Tampa that sells components & complete systems (Classic Auto Air)?
Their "Perfect Fit" system goes in much like OEM & uses your current heater ctls to operate, but you can get a Univ Street Rod type (with electric or cable type ctls) & that one takes up a much smaller amount of under dash space.
They like HotRod Air & Vintage Air offer under dash A/C only units, if you don't want heat or defrost functions. I do think defrost is needed, especially on rainy days.
Just a few thouoghts

See them at: www.classicautoair.com

-
Back