Finding a good 360 candidate

-

Lecki6

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I am starting a search for a good candidate for a 360 swap for my 72 Plymouth Valiant more door. I am preemptively starting my search so I can find a good deal and/or a diamond in the rough. So what exactly would the perfect candidate look like, and what exceptions can be made?

If you feel like throwing this topic into another direction, I wouldn't mind talking about the overall build costs to hit upwards of 400HP..

Discuss away!
All input is appreciated!
:happy1:

It doesn't take too much to get 400hp from a 360. Stick around and you'll see. Mike from
MRL Performance is a member. He is a sponsor here and his website link is in the right margin of sponsored ads. Check it out. He had built many small blocks for members here and all were 400+++ hp.

It doesn't take too much to get 400hp from a 360. Stick around and you'll see. Mike from
MRL Performance is a member. He is a sponsor here and his website link is in the right margin of sponsored ads. Check it out. He had built many small blocks for members here and all were 400+++ hp.

I have one of his 408 engines and it is a headache...I cant keep anything behind it in one piece :D

If you use an 88-91 360 it will have roller cam and you can run LA intakes and exhaust on it...

Easy to search here to find one:

www.car-parts.com

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I am starting a search for a good candidate for a 360 swap for my 72 Plymouth Valiant more door. I am preemptively starting my search so I can find a good deal and/or a diamond in the rough. So what exactly would the perfect candidate look like, and what exceptions can be made?

If you feel like throwing this topic into another direction, I wouldn't mind talking about the overall build costs to hit upwards of 400HP..

Discuss away!
All input is appreciated!
:happy1:

The 400 hp combo seem to be 10:1 CR, 280 ish cam, 220 cfm heads, air gap and a 750.

What's up with the post that got deleted? That's strange

Edit: I recall it being something about magnum LA and checking something so I can use my existing headers? This is like the x-files all over again

I have an intake to pan running 360 sitting on the floor I cant give it away.
put it on c list for $100 .had 5 calls. its still here.
too far from you. massachusettes.
good luck with search.

What's up with the post that got deleted? That's strange

Edit: I recall it being something about magnum LA and checking something so I can use my existing headers? This is like the x-files all over again

If the rules was read you would see we do not allow phone numbers to be posted on this site Leaki6 .. good luck with everything :coffee2:

I have an intake to pan running 360 sitting on the floor I cant give it away.
put it on c list for $100 .had 5 calls. its still here.
too far from you. massachusettes.
good luck with search.

I looked those magnums up on "cars-parts". cheapest listed were like $400 around here. and this is the cheap part of America!!!!

I looked those magnums up on "cars-parts". cheapest listed were like $400 around here. and this is the cheap part of America!!!!

Keep in mind that you may get a short warranty when you buy through the salvage yards on sss.car-parts.com.

I should've taken a video of the car being driven into the garage before I stripped it.
motor ran good.
oh well
scrap is down too.

Limelight70,

They seem to like deleting my posts for reasons that they ignore with others. PM me for more info. The magnum is the way to go, easy 400 hp, great engine to work with, too may advantages over LA to mention. Super cheap. The early roller blocks still have LA heads so a big step down from the true magnum. Get one, you wont be sorry. Install it with factory injection and enjoy the ultimate daily driver.

Running w/ good tranny 76 dodge sportsman guy wants 400 for engine and tranny.. I would have to pull, seems like magnum is the way to go so I'll have to pass

^**** yeah it is.

66725300.jpg

So if I'm getting a new head and cam kit anyway is magnum still the clear choice? I'm trying to get a good list of pros and cons, as this is my first time doing anything other than an oil change its a fun learning process.

Running w/ good tranny 76 dodge sportsman guy wants 400 for engine and tranny.. I would have to pull, seems like magnum is the way to go so I'll have to pass

A 76 Dodge van engine would be a bad choice, low comp, worn out, small valves and big chambers. You are in WA state which means you are shopping the same magnum market we are in. You can pick up a Magnum long block for $400-$500 or just get a complete vehicle for $1000 with everything and parts out to get money back. I am in S. OR and picked up a 2000 Durango 5.9. Can sell trans for $500, 9 1/4" rear $200, wheels/tires $500 Body parts $300+. I end up with 5.9 , harness, pcm, all accessories and leather power buckets for -$500....look for 98 Grand Cherokee Limited, 1998-2003 Durangos, 94-03 Ram or 98-03 Dakota, preferably side swiped or rear ended. CL has them for cheap all the time in Portland area. Missed one in Renton w bad trans for $300 the other day. PM or call me when you find one and I will give you a sweet deal on the parts you need. More than happy to help out a fellow Pacific North Westerner. :burnout:

Lecki6,
If there are any cons to Magnum, I have never found them. You can get the HP you want with nothing more than a used 5.9 short block, EQ or ED heads, and cam. Carb or injected, thats your choice. FI will cost a bit more but well worth it. Evan

^This is the truth, look up LXguy and/or JoeDust451. Past members that run deep 11's with a cam regrind and a quality converter on junkyard motors...We ain't bullshittin' you.

They inspired me and my magnum that is fast as hell too. :D

Going to go auction hunting... 93-03 Dodge/jeep with a 5.9 v8, 2wd tranny preferred? However unlikely it is..
Durango, Dakota, ram, ram charger, grand Cherokee

Apparently I need to avoid the vans?

-
Back