Finding a painter to shoot color...

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Is it just Boise or is it next to impossible to find a painter willing to shoot color for a reasonable price ?
90% of the shops will only do insurance work . The other 10% would rather be unemployed than work for less than 500/day !!

One shop told me it would take about 20 hrs of labor to shoot color and clear on a empty shell with all the prep done..

Am I ignorant or does that sound like an awful long time for just color ??

Even Maaco quoted 2400.00 (paint included)

The Maaco quote is strange. They are usually ~$500 for a 2 part polyurethane winter special. But painting a shell is ~4x the paint and more effort to get in all the crevices than just an exterior paint job. You don't need perfection in the engine bay, trunk, etc, so maybe you could do that and pay less for just an exterior spray. You could roll & tip 1-part poly yourself there and save a lot. I used Interlux Brightsides, and may even use for the exterior.

Materials are expensive. Painting over somebody else's prep is risky from a body shop perspective

Actually I was just thinking about doing the engine bay , jambs and trunk myself then having someone else shoot the outer panels .
And yes I do realize that materials are costly today , but I can get them at painter cost. So All I am trying to find is someone to apply color in a controlled atmosphere .

I have done some painting in the past so I do have an idea of what goes into it.
I just don't believe the 20 hr deal for applying color... NO WAY !!

I know one painter that has been whining about being slow for the last few years.. but he says he is getting too old to do full jobs... I guess he'd rather be broke than earn 500 for a days work..

I've heard that in some areas you can rent a booth and shoot it yourself.. no such thing here..

To put this mildly, I just ordered paint and material to paint one of my vehicles and it came to just under a thousand dollars. Than there's labor in prepping which includes sanding, smoothing and removing chrome, door handles and other trim, glass etc. Masking tapes, paper and lets not forget a little mud for those unseen dings. And to top it off, After its painted, there's gonna be sanding and rubbing the car out even if there isn't any orange peel to see just to strengthen the coating.

I too can remember the day when paint and materials cost a couple hundred.

You want right or just someone to lay the blame on your paint and body comes out like crap? You get what you pay for.

Remember what I said about the paint and materials cost almost a $1000. Well I am sure you can spend less for paints, but how long do you want it the last?

Here's a 20+ year old paint job and the blue one is less then 5 years
july031.jpg

66012.jpg

Materials are expensive. Painting over somebody else's prep is risky from a body shop perspective

Exactly. Quality Paint can be as high as $1000 a gallon now. Clear can be around $200 a gallon.

I dont know what the cost of living around you is but if I only do $500 worth of work in a day after I pay my employee's and expenses I wont be taking anything home myself at the end of the week. Everything has gone up.

BTW, I have a 12 x 24 side draft spray booth in my home shop and a 24 x 24 prep area where I also do my work and play..

If I had a booth and prep area I wouldn't be posting . And I understand that a major bodyshop is not wanting to mess with it for various reasons.

So you guys sound like your bodymen . How long does it take you to shoot a total car ?
BASECOAT AND CLEARCOAT ONLY... No prep included... that is done.

If I had a booth and prep area I wouldn't be posting . And I understand that a major bodyshop is not wanting to mess with it for various reasons.

So you guys sound like your bodymen . How long does it take you to shoot a total car ?
BASECOAT AND CLEARCOAT ONLY... No prep included... that is done.

The way your asking....8-9hrs. ZERO prep or sealer. No cut/buff or "addressing the nibs"

exactly... That's about what I calculated..
I understand that adherance issues would be my liability since I prepped the body.

It looks like I've located a few guys that will take it on. But it took a lot of searching.

I think everyone I talk to is assuming that this is going to be a Show Car... It is just a nice driver. Not enough end value to justify throwing 5-7k at a paint job. Besides I'm on a quest to see how cheap I can put a nice car together.

I'll bet you I have almost a whole day just tapeing up my car so it wouldn't have over spray all over where I didn't want it.

Attachments

• 100_0258 (600 x 400).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_0244 (600 x 400).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_0243 (600 x 400).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_0248 (600 x 400).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_0254 (600 x 400).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 217
I think everyone I talk to is assuming that this is going to be a Show Car... It is just a nice driver. Not enough end value to justify throwing 5-7k at a paint job. Besides I'm on a quest to see how cheap I can put a nice car together.

Like Bill said, maybe you should consider alternatives. I sprayed Interlux Brightside in and out, did all the prep myself and ended up with a paint job that garnered alot of "WOWS" at a recent show, even though it was never intended to be a show car. Is it perfect? no. Is it durable? yes, its for boats and has high uv protection and is hard as hell.
This was my first paint job so it was a real learning experience, there's many little things I would do differently for much better results, but I will definately do it again. Total cost with all prep materials and primer/paint was around $450.
Don't even talk about "I have no place to paint it", I did all this in a condo parking lot, of course it helps that I'm the building manager.
I'm just sayin, if theres a will theres a way! -pauly

Attachments

• may26,2012 012_1.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 202
  • autofest 014_1.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 10-4-2010 011_1_1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 10-4-2010 009_1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 196
  • may26,2012 022_1.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 207
I just don't believe the 20 hr deal for applying color... NO WAY !!
I had someone run a stop sign by my house while I was driving a Dodge 3/4 ton. Long story short, the body shop quoted (for insurance purposes) 40 hours to paint.This is besides all the actual prep time.

I just assumed that the insurance adjuster who actually approved the claim was getting some of that ridiculous amount of money too lol.

I had someone run a stop sign by my house while I was driving a Dodge 3/4 ton. Long story short, the body shop quoted (for insurance purposes) 40 hours to paint.This is besides all the actual prep time.

I just assumed that the insurance adjuster who actually approved the claim was getting some of that ridiculous amount of money too lol.

40 paint labor hours on an insurance claim does not mean 40 hours to paint.

It means 40 hours to take the car from 150/180 grit to a finished surface. This would include priming, blocking, prepping blend panels, masking, sealing, mixing, applying base-coat, applying clear and so on.

From a painters point of view, I have never run across a car completely prepped, ready to spray. You may think its ready, but its not. 5-10 hours for final prep, 5-10 hours for masking (properly) 1 hr. getting in the zone, 2-4 hours painting and clearing. It adds up quickly. Dont get your hopes down, you will find someone that does good work for cheap. Some of my best jobs were shot outside.Good luck!

From a painters point of view, I have never run across a car completely prepped, ready to spray. QUOTE]

My brother who has been painting for the last 12 years said the exact same thing.

My friend/body guy would not even talk to you........how does he know if everything was done right? Something goes wrong after it is shot who is going to get the blame??

Wow, This thread makes me never want to deal with body "men". Sounds, like a huge costly headache and deals with pompous crybabies who think what they do is a black art... Pfft.

In the end, no one cares about it like you do.

Sir, do it yourself outside or put up a home depot plastic and pvc/wood enclosure or something, and you can pay yourself $2400 to do it...

Sounds, like a huge costly headache and deals with pompous crybabies who think what they do is a black art... Pfft.

Pompous Crybabies?

It is a huge amount of work and in the end, if something goes wrong, the car owner will come crying and wanting his car redone for free.

With the cost of products these days and the great "Unknown" about the surface being painted, I wouldn't paint someone's car that they had prepped unless they signed a waver stating that i am not responsible for the final finish.

This includes things going to hell in the booth while I'm shooting.

Pompous Crybabies?

It is a huge amount of work and in the end, if something goes wrong, the car owner will come crying and wanting his car redone for free.

With the cost of products these days and the great "Unknown" about the surface being painted, I wouldn't paint someone's car that they had prepped unless they signed a waver stating that i am not responsible for the final finish.

This includes things going to hell in the booth while I'm shooting.

Hey man, I wasn't referring to you, and I know how much work it takes. Why are you already so jaded? You just started! Sounds like you've got no faith in the people you help, that's not good, you may want to work on that.

He's trying to work with people on a budget, you can't tell me you wouldn't do the same... He said nothing to the tune of "crying", in fact he sounds quite reasonable, and I would venture to guess, he would be fair about things.

The point here is he is trying to find a reasonable person to do his ride, and its hard to find.

Getting down to brass tacks, all it takes is a waver to remove liability, that's no big deal dude.

Not worth attacking me for my opinion, which you just lowered of the general industry, hope your happy...

To the author: Sorry to start a flame on your post. You wont hear another peep from me. This post goes to show, again, no one cares as much as you do.

I'm not jaded at all, I love it.

But I still wouldn't guarantee a paint job on something that shows up in the shop "ready for paint".

I would paint it, and do the best job my abilities allow but I couldn't stand behind it.

And that's another problem...... If something fails a year down the road, people will ask "Who painted it?" and my name would be attached to it forever.

So you find some one to paint it with a waiver.........something goes wrong......and you run around mfing the guy to death.....anybody that values there reputation will probably steer clear of you........

-
Back