Finding TDC

-

7dswinger

MOPAR's rule
Reaction score
So I'm trying to find tdc with a piston stop so I can put new timing tape on my balancer. I've gone through the hole process, stopped the piston, marked it, turned it the other way and marked it where it stopped. measured to the middle of the two marks. But the mark in the middle points to 10* ATDC on the marker which is on the timing cover. Did I do something wrong or am I just confused here?

How'd you do it.

I turn it one direction, mark balancer where the 0 mark on timing cover is, twist it other direction, mark where 0 lines on timing cover is, measure...

If it's that far off, the ring may have slipped on your balancer. It is where it is!

Weird how it would be that far off when the marker is on the engine. But like cracked said it is where it is. Spin one way, mark it, spin the other way, mark it and split the difference between the 2.

Did your Cam gear have two different whays to instal it ? some do.

Did it again and it comes out the same way, so that's were tdc is, weird. Balancer must have slipped.
I have no clue about the cam as I didn't build this engine, never been inside it either.
So if that's were TDC is then I guess I'm going to have to mark the timing cover for it and put the timing tape where I've figured it out to be....

So then when I stick the timing tape on, which way does it go on? One side goes up to 60* the other only 10*. The 60* is the advance side, do I stick that side going towards engine rotation (cw) or ccw?

If looking from drivers side, the 60 goes towards the bottom.

Ok great, that's what I though but wanted to make sure before sticking it on there!

Just a thought, what if the piston stop sticks too far in the cylinder and it's not actually at tdc.

*edit* nevermind, i read the thread wrong!

haha no worries, I checked that as well.
So I just timed the engine and I'm running like 33* advance at idle...........and 60* all in, uhhhh, what haha.

I'm pretty sure it should be aroun 15* at idle and around 33 all in at around 2500?

There are really not too many ways to screw this up

You want to make sure the stop is SOLID, does not wiggle, move around, bend.

If you checked it twice and were careful to look straight in at the timing tab, then it "is where it is"

Cam gear has nothing to do with it.

Just a thought, what if the piston stop sticks too far in the cylinder and it's not actually at tdc.

*edit* nevermind, i read the thread wrong!

Wont matter. will be the same both ways so center will be the same.

^checked it like 4 times and same place.
Got it timed now. Freaking MSD E-Curve dist. is not an easy thing to use. Finally got it idling at around 18 adv. and all in at 33-35* by 2500.
Stumbles off idle though, I've got vac. adv. on it just not a whole lot, do I need to add more vac. adv.?

Did it again and it comes out the same way, so that's were tdc is, weird. Balancer must have slipped.
I have no clue about the cam as I didn't build this engine, never been inside it either.
So if that's were TDC is then I guess I'm going to have to mark the timing cover for it and put the timing tape where I've figured it out to be....

So then when I stick the timing tape on, which way does it go on? One side goes up to 60* the other only 10*. The 60* is the advance side, do I stick that side going towards engine rotation (cw) or ccw?
cw

^^ would if I could but there is no carb, it's an EFI system. Added abit more vac. adv. and that helped a little and now it's onto re-tuning the EFI to go with it.

Quote = Cam gear has nothing to do with it.
Realy ? I have installed a couple cam gears and you have 2 not just 1 locations to install the cam gear depending on the build :-k

If you can't change the mapping, I hope it's a self learning system.

If you have your vacuum can hooked to direct manifold it's dropping timing.

So it drives like sh** now, power is all off and it's back fire through the manifold on almost any throttle too hard or too much load.
EFI maps aren't helping either.
What's causing it to back fire through the manifold? It's currently idling at 18* and is all in at 37* by 2500 rpm. I had this problem before and couldn't figure it out so I'm lost now, help!

Quote = Cam gear has nothing to do with it.
Realy ? I have installed a couple cam gears and you have 2 not just 1 locations to install the cam gear depending on the build :-k

We may be getting at two different things. All I meant was, the cam gear has nothing to do with where the timing mark shows up "as" TDC

So it drives like sh** now, power is all off and it's back fire through the manifold on almost any throttle too hard or too much load.
EFI maps aren't helping either.
What's causing it to back fire through the manifold? It's currently idling at 18* and is all in at 37* by 2500 rpm. I had this problem before and couldn't figure it out so I'm lost now, help!

That's 37 total without vacuum advance, right?

^Yes I do believe so, I'm running 10* of vac. adv. which is the least amount I can select. I'm running the #3 curve right now. I'm going to remove the vac. adv. tomorrow and see if that does anything and try #1.
Any other ideas on what what I should try? Maybe too much adv. too quickly?

Attachments

• vac adv copy.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 289
7D.

Can you go back to when the engine ran well? Was this pre the programmable diss or pre efi? What was your initial and curve then?

I can set up the dist. and re-time it to when it ran with the E-Curve but it was all timed wrong, I've got the timing correct now though.
After talking AutoxCuda this issue is linked to the fact that the E-Curve is not able to work with MSD's solid core coils which is what I'm running so I'm going to switch back to an oil filled one.
This is getting to be a duplicate thread though on this as I've got one talking about this now under ignition haha

7D,

That is what is so great about a site like this. A member asks a critical question and that offers the solution.

-
Back