finishing up my 65 dart GT 273 HP four speed

-

oldmopardude

Reaction score
Like everyone else, life gets in the way, but I'm about done with the little white dart. I hope you like the pictures. For now I put in a new 273 V8 2 bbl, as I'm rebuilding the original HP engine. All new paint, and Arizona beautiful body. The car has the later 69' disc Brakes, and 8 3/4 rear with 3:55 Limited slip. New legendary interior, the gauges were restored, new wiring, and all the chrome was redone in phoenix. I stuck with the stock clutch, but I'm going to Install a newer four speed in order to have the splined driveshaft. Once it's a driver, I'm taking it in to get Vintage air Installed. I intend to drive the car back to phoenx just to bug my brother, who sold me the car! The last picture is a fresh 68'340, But I don't think I'll put it in. I don't care for headers.So it's just fun to look at!

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 026.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 021.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 022.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 023.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 247
  • P7120712.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 235
I'm still thinking about Installing the 340 in the car. A good friend of mine had to re-enforce his cross member, and I hate to alter anything. Will my 340 bell housing and flywheel fit ok? Also, the dart had only one exhaust outlet. any alternative to headers?
Everything else is done, disc brakes, 340 radiator, 8 3/4 Differential with 3:55 ratio,dual master cylinder, splined 68' four speed. new 68' 340, as well as a rebuilt 273. The 340 is bone stock, no racing,(sort of) I will be Installing vintage A/C when done, and Intend to travel with the little cutie! Any advice from someone here who has made the change would be greatly appreciated!

I'd suggest you stick with the 273 for the simplicity & economy. I've done the whole 340 thing in a 65 Valiant & it's not that big a deal but there are various issues to deal with. You need to strengthen the drivetrain & update the brakes which you've done. No need to alter the crossmember unless you want to notch for a little more dual exhaust clearance. You'll need to modify the original motor mounts or buy the Schumacher replacements. There is no good exhaust manifold solution so you really need headers to take advantage of the power. 10.5 bellhousing will fit although some have had to roll down the firewall seam. You will also need a new Z-bar & pivot available through Brewers. I used the original 9.5 inch setup with 122 tooth flywheel & a special clutch setup (see post in early A forum) to handle the power but it would be cheaper to use the 10.5. I did not cut anything on the car to make it work.

BTW, very nice little Dart! White paint & dog dishes look really slick.

enginerunning_zpsa8dd7fdd.jpg

You pretty much sold me! The 273 I have is fresh, and will work until I rebuild the original HP engine. I didn't put in the 3:55 gears, and am considering the 3;23 ratio. I really want to see how quiet I can make the interior, and retain a nice ride as well. So a Nice stereo and Vintage air will be a part of the deal. The car had a black top, but the painted look is nice too, I'm trying not to spend any more Money. Thanks For the advice!

-
Back