Fire Hazard

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
Now honestly guys.. :angel9:
how many of you out there that do alot of your own fabrication, have a fire extinguishing device..

reason being.. I was cutting away at my floor last night and stopped an inch from the fuel line under the pass floor.. then realized wow, I have no fire extinguisher. so i stopped all proceedings..

Question 2.. How many of you have been in my spot and have stories?

Cerwin

I have an extinguisher right beside the garage door,thought it would be a good idea especially after i had the work bench on fire a couple years ago!

Ever see spilled gas burn? It's really hot!!!

EvilScamp said:
I have an extinguisher right beside the garage door,thought it would be a good idea especially after i had the work bench on fire a couple years ago!

Your not suppose to touch it Kev.. haha, but I guess all the puurdy colours are seductive. :wav:

I have 3 fire extinguishers in my garage and Im always checking them to make sure their still good. It's also a good I dea to keep a fairly big fan in your garage/shop so you can get fumes out incase you spill 8 gallons of 2 yearold gas on your floor when tring to drain an old gas tank...not that that has ever happened to me... :toothy7:
I know that 1966 dart wagon has a story.

:angry4: I forgot about his light mishap.. i can just imagine the tears i would have shed if i were him. actually i prolli would have thrown a fit :angry4: and started smashing stuff for no reason.. haha, thats how i deal with anger.. i break things.. :angry4: you should see my 91 accord.. i broke the door off because the door lock-latch was broken. ya. can you say.. spaz :angry4: .. i know i know.. im gunna go light a bowl.. ill be better in a bit.

I keep two fire extinguisers, one inside for the wife in case I set myself on fire. Plus I have a smoke alarm in the garage that I keep setting off.

I towed home a VW Karman Ghia that I had stored for about 8 years or so & decided to jump start it in the driveway before I parked it inside. Got it runnin' & sat in it until it idled okay then got out & went to the back to unhook the jumper cables (It's a VW, the motor & battery are in the back :tongue3: ). The engine was on fire. One of the fuel lines had rotted & the fuel pump was happily pumping gas onto the top of the engine, where it was flamin'. I tried to blow it out a couple of times, that didn't work. :tard: Fortunately, it's considered a good practice to ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in an air cooled VW, because the factory didn't put any clamps on the fuel lines of the carbureted ones. #-o I went to the front (that's where the trunk is, I know, it's all bass ackward) got out the extinguisher & had things under control. :happy2:

I keep two huge CO2 fire extinguishers, one on each side of my hoist in case of a fire. I do a lot of welding, I install custom exhaust and roll cage fabrication in my shop at my house. I prefer CO2 over dry chemical because of the clean up later.

360scamp be very careful using fans with gas fumes. Regular fans don't have explosion proof motors. If you use a floor box fan to ventilate your shop the fumes are passing right thru the electric motor. Use a pedestal fan that has the motor about 3 feet (or more) off the floor this way the gas fumes won't pass thru it.

Cerwin, I have cut thru a gas line before with a cutting torch. Believe me you don't look for a fire extinguisher, you look for an escape path. But it is a good question and subject about having them available.

Chuck

i figured it was better to have someone learn from my "ALMOST" mistake then someone else get hurt.. im the kinda guy that laughs when i see someone trip and fall.. but when one of you guys(family) get hurt.. i shed a tear..

baahaha haha..

But Chuck, thank goodness I was only using a cut off wheel.. but I can imagine.. You would now have 2 flame throwers in front of you..(torch & gas line)

I have to get one, have one in the house but not the shop, kinda stupid I know. I was sitting on an old couch cushion while welding under the car and noticed that my leg was getting kinda hot, sure enough the MIG splatter had set the cushion on fire :lol: I have a bucket with wet rag to cool the welds so I was able to put it out easily enough.

I was cutting the rear quarter off of a '67 Camaro so there was no fuel tank in the car. But there was still plenty of fuel in the line to get my attention. Yea, the guys watching me laughed pretty hard when I hit that thing. Well two of the three laughed pretty good the third guy bailed faster than I did. This was along time ago, late '70s, was young and had all the answers.

Chuck

Jeff, it's a good idea to pickup one of those "small" fiberglass sheets from a welding shop. There handy and you can wrap it around other "parts that like to burn" from sparks or weld slag.

Cerwin said:
Your not suppose to touch it Kev.. haha, but I guess all the puurdy colours are seductive. :wav:

I didn't touch it that's just dumb, i was trying to taste it!
tongue0022.gif

Yep, two in the garage and one in the kitchen. When the welding machine comes out, I put the extinguisher near where I am working.

Greg

In my shop I have a 10lb abc, in my kitchen under the cabinet another 10lb abc. In my laundry room I have two 5lber's. And at the front door I have another 5lber. I have the one at the front door only because my neighbor across the street has a lowrider and is always catching it on fire, either from batteries or cables overheating. And a 2 1/2lb abc for my wagon. And in my work truck I have a 2 1/2lber inside the cab, and a 3gallon super squirt water extinguisher. O by the way I work for a Fire Protection Company. Soon I'll have a sprinkler system in the house and shop. And sometimes I think I need to put an extinguisher in my bathroom.

I need to get one in the garage.

I have one in the 75 dart and one in the boat.

yep, installing bucket seats one time without looking underneath.
drilled right through the fuel line. " hey, do you smell gas ? "

-RPM

I keep fire extinguishers in the shop, house, trucks, combines, and both old cars. Have used them on the farm several times, life and money savers.

2 in the garage one in the Cuda and one in the house. Any time the welder comes out the extinguisher gets set within grabbing distance.

One in the garage and one in the truck, which is in the garage getting rebuilt anyway, so two in the garage.

Cuda66 said:
I keep two fire extinguisers, one inside for the wife in case I set myself on fire. Plus I have a smoke alarm in the garage that I keep setting off.

You have life insurance on yourself? If you do I wouldn't be to dependant on the wife to extinguish you, set yourself up an emergency shower so you can extinguish yourself. LOL there are 8 extinguishers, 7 smoke detectors and 2 carbon monoxide detectors and 3 heat detectors (far better for detecting actual fire) in my houshold. Fire sucks when it isn't under control.

ha well man do i got a story, last nov 05 i burned my arm as some of you remember, well its still healing, i got light 3rd degree burns and had to get skin graphs definably i something you don't wanna experience.

EvilScamp said:
o yeah its bad, especially when under your prized classic car :(

we used 5 yes, 5 extinguishers to put out the dart...still no luck gas is a b!tch to put out. 3 fire trucks showed up shortly after, burned a lil on my dads shop, burned his sign and melted 2 of the 4 plastic windows in the door.

toastysmallwb2.jpg

wheelsmallsz8.jpg

armhh6.jpg

its been about a year and 3 months

-
Back