Fired up the new 408 yesterday and...

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
promptly ef'd up a rocker. lol Man I can't win. The adjuster on #5 exhaust rocker backed out. Happened pretty quick too, I'm thinking maybe I just didn't have the lock nut tight enough. Oh well. I'm still waiting on my correct pushrods, the ones I used are about .050 to short but close enough to start it I figured. Sounded good for a little while.

Any one have a 1.6 Crane Gold W2/W5 exhaust rocker laying around? lol

Oil pressure was good with 70 psi at start up and 40 idling at 1200 when it got warm with 8 quarts of 5w20 dino oil in the crankcase. Oil doesn't even touch the dipstick using the same tube and stick from the old motor. I think I could put 9 quarts in there and it would still show about 1 quart low compared to the level on the old engine.

Damn, that sucks! At least it was a rocker, and not a windage tray bolt, or a cam lobe, or something not very easy to get to......

Hear ya on the pushrod blues.

Sooooo..... How did it sound?

Dang. Keep pluggin along boy. You'll get it.

Aren't the exhaust rockers the same as stock? Summit has them. I think they are like 29 bucks.

They're cheap enough. I thought they were the same as stock but Crane has a different part number for them. Maybe they are clearanced for bigger valve springs, I don't know.

Any way I got home today, yanked the rocker shaft, checked the pushrod, it's not bent. Ran a tap through the adjuster hole and put it back together. Fired it up and damn it sounds awesome. I can't wait to get the correct pushrods and take this thing for some shakedown passes. **** was falling off the walls in the garage and in the house when I had it running, this is one bad small block. lol

**** was falling off the walls in the garage and in the house when I had it running, this is one bad small block. lol

So did you blast the throttle,:director: to remind the neighbors you still have a race car!!!! :thumblef:

-
Back