Firing up the Slant 6 after 5 months sitting

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
Hello! I'm returning to the US after 5 months of being away. I left my Dart with a 198 ci Slant Six in my garage safely tucked in for the winter.

I put Sta-Bil gas treatment in the gas tank, changed the oil and drove the car around for a few miles before storing it for the winter. I also disconnected the battery.

When I return, I plan to rebuild an unused original Carter BBS that I bought before I stored the car, and install it. I'm replacing a leaking and overall shitty re-manufactured Holley 1920 that's given me nothing but poor fuel economy and gas leaks.

After I rebuild and install the new BBS and correct ECS fuel pump, what procedures should I do before firing the engine up? I know the oil has collected at the bottom of the oil pan while sitting. Should I pour half a quart or so into the engine to lubricate the engine before firing her up?

Also, what are some things to look out for when rebuilding the BBS? The carb I bought is period correct for my ECS 198 ci engine, so I'm psyched for the "originality" of it.

Good rebuild kits?

Thanks,

1970Dart198

Mine sits 5-5 months for the winter.

Crank the key a few times for about 10 seconds each without depressing the gas.

1 or 2 pumps and start it.

i think the BBS is a one barrel carb. i think it has one or 2 screws that go from the top casting to the bottom casting. do NOT over tighten them or the castings will warp. the 2 barrel on the 318 has 2 screws with the same set up. reff note: the 2 bbl on the 318 has float level of 1/4"

Best to disable the ignition and crank it for 20 sec to get the oil circulating. For an engine that has sat much longer, I have a small garden sprayer tank I fill with oil and connect to the oil pressure sensor port to prime the passages. But, you don't have to do anything. If you ever disassembled an engine that has been sitting (indoors), you will find oil still on the bearings.

-
Back