First Build.....360

-

74swingerlover

Reaction score
Picked myself up a complete 360. Looking to tear it down and do my first build. I would love to be able to get my car into the mid/low 11's, still drive it on the street. I would like to turn it into a 408 in the future but for now just see what I can get out of it without having to go to a machine shop.

Can I get some combos that work?

I will start from top to bottom......

I was thinking:

750 cfm dp
air gap performer rpm
340 x heads -- find some nice roller rockers, but there is a guy around my town selling some adjustable 273 rockers (would like to end up with Eddy's)
.510 (ish) roller cam, again another I know has a .484 tappet for cheap
10-1 pistons (can I use pump gas?)
new bearings throughout
new rings
true roller gear
upgraded ignition (MSD 6AL)
1 5/8 headers (flowtech..... already have)
high volume oil pump
deep 7 or 8 quart oil pan

What do you think I will end up with with that?

Still deciding beefed up 727 or A-500/A-518 (I live in the country)

later on I will get my butt to the machine shop, get a good crank, head and block work and new connecting rods

From what I can tell about the current setup is bone stock with a torker II and 550 cfm

What do you think I will end up with with that?
What do you mean? Power wise? Not enuff info.

Still deciding beefed up 727 or A-500/A-518 (I live in the country)
The 518 is a big unit, look for the 500, a 904 based OD trans that has a smaller case/body.

10-1 on pump gas is doable dependent on available octane and cam size/distributor timing.

I was going to basically tear it down build it the way it was but with these parts instead of what was there. Like I said, I think its basically stockish.

how can you tell its my first build

Other things for a power est. would be;

Cam. Have specs on hand. Comp cams, lunati or hugesengines list the cams durations as advertised, @ .050 and there timing events and the cams lift. Rocker ratio. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

Actual ratio
head port flow numbers. If you do not have them, state what head, letter or last 3 numbers of the heads casting numbers, like "308" or "576" and what valves are in them. (Size)

Exhaust size/Pipe diameter.

Picked myself up a complete 360. Looking to tear it down and do my first build. I would love to be able to get my car into the mid/low 11's, still drive it on the street. I would like to turn it into a 408 in the future but for now just see what I can get out of it without having to go to a machine shop.

Can I get some combos that work?
I don't beleve you can reliably do this WITHOUT taking it to a machine shop, and to get a "stockish" 360 into the 11's your gonna have to spray it with 4:10's IMO.

I'm not expecting to get to the 11's until its a 408 and by then it will have been to the machine shop

Good point. Piston replacement is a start and a nice set of flowing heads along with a cam of about 250 @ 050 and 4.10's to start. Drivabilty is a personal issue.

I'm not expecting to get to the 11's until its a 408 and by then it will have been to the machine shop
IMO if you are going to do a 408 you should now, why build it twice?? otherwise put it in just as she sits and run it till you have the $$ to do it right JMO. Rumble is giving you good advise as per usual, but build it once, dont ya think rumble??

I have 2 1/2 inch exhaust. I was thinking of going with a 3.55/3.91 gear since I will be on the highway. I am getting 255/60/15 m/t street drag radials.

Unless you already have the X heads, I wouldn't waste the time or money on them. You mention wanting to go eddies later. I'd jump all that and buy a set of RHS heads from Brian at Indio Motor Machine. The RHS head works better than the eddy heads and are less money with better components. If you want a 550-600hp engine later on, the eddies would be a better choice, you'll spend ~ $1000 porting them to get there.

It's not that hard to get a 360 into the 11's.

I also agree with the idea of stroking it now. It's easier to bolt a set of heads on than change a crank/pistons, etc.

Those RHS heads and a stroker is a pretty easy high 400's low 500's engine. Been done many times.

So can you guys give me a combo that I can use? I just have a stock '74 318 with a 2 barrel and I want more power. That is why I picked this engine up. Will this 360 with a torker 340 and 550 holley be a world of difference?

Just trying to take the cheap route right now. Saving the $$ to get to the machine shop/crank/heads.

A 360 w/a Torker and a 550 carb. Who thinks up these things?!?!?!?!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.........

You want a 318 combo? Your biggest issue is low compresion and head flow abilty.

What gear ratio do you have and/or are you willing to change the gears out for a higher ratio? Are you willing to use a set of 3.91's?
Are you willing to mill and bowl port the heads?
Add a higher stall converter?
Add headers?

i'm not touching the 318, its the original motor and has never been cracked open and never will. I like saying I still have its original engine that works..... never know what I will end up doing when I am old. Might want to do the whole "numbers matching, bone stock original" car

i don't know what the old owner of the 360 was thinking.... I always thought that you really don't want a single plain with lower rpm.

Should I just look for a performer rpm and a 650? will that be good enough for now?

-
Back