First Gear Shake

-

ajones19802

Reaction score
Ok, so just today I traded my 1973 duster for a 1964 Barracuda, with another member on the forums. But the car has a problem with first gear. Whenever you let out of the clutch, it shakes like no tommorow and will just about stall. Now before I go and have the trans rebuilt, is there anything I can do to fix it? I had the clutch adjusted by a professional, (actually a guy who worked for Jack Roush), and it didn't help. any other tips or tricks?

Thanks guys

Replace the clutch and pressure plate, turn the flywheel.
My $.02

Jim

Couple of questions:
1. Does the car roll while in gear with the clutch disengaged and the engine off? - trying to test if the trans is really hard to turn.

2. List the new parts, condition/history of the engine - a car with a BIG vac leak/weak cyl can be made to idle just fine with no load but when you drop it in gear it's got no power and you'll feel the "chug".

I'd start from scratch. Compression test, timing, check the plugs, look for vac leaks, skinned/arching wires

Be careful, but what happens if you try to start out in 2nd??. I'd think engine/flywheel before trans if the thing shakes before the trans is sped up enough to cause the vibration

when i start it in 2nd, it works perfectly, no chug or shake. The clutch and pressure plate I'm sure are new, I'll have to ask evan about the flywheel. And i know for sure there is something wrong with the vacuum. Gonna have to run new lines.

Find out if the flywheel was turned when the new clutch and pressure plate were installed?It sounds like some slippage and grabbing on hotspots.My 2 cents.I,d pull it and have it turned.If you adjusted it and it continues,I,d bet that,s your problem.

Find out if the flywheel was turned when the new clutch and pressure plate were installed?It sounds like some slippage and grabbing on hotspots.My 2 cents.I,d pull it and have it turned.If you adjusted it and it continues,I,d bet that,s your problem.

I thought the same thing, but the engine almost stalling is what made me think misfire. My slant gave me the same problem when I had a cracked carb spacer.
following that reasoning: starting in second is fine because the engine speed has to be much higher to get it to move and the carb is now into the main jets.

Ajones12802, you can check the flywheel if you pull the bottom cover, you should be able to see enough of the face to tell if it was resurfaced.... should be kind of a swirl pattern....let me see if I can find the link......

here it is
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=54030
second picture is what a resurface pattern looks like

Replace the clutch and pressure plate, turn the flywheel.
My $.02

Jim

I think you guys are spot on, it's not the tranny, it's one of the three mentioned. I've installed remaned and new low end (cheap) clutch and p/plate assemblies that chattered right from the start. I would start with the flywheel but make sure you look at the p/plate while you have the tranny out. If it looks to have high spots on it or has been comprimised by all the chatter then you might as well replace it the FIRST time you have the tranny out. If you decide to purchase a new clutch p/plate and t/o bearing do yourself a favor and buy the good stuff.

Has your car been changed over to 10.5" stuff or is it still the small 9"(?) bell and flywheel?

thanks for all the help guys, when my dad gets gome fri, we will see what we can do/

-
Back