First oil change on fresh engine... What to look for?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Well... Since the car is sitting all winter I decided I might as well do it;s first oil change. It has about 100mi on it from initial break in.

So far the oil just has a grayish creamy color to it. I didn't notice any chunks of anything yet, so I guess that is a good thing so far.

I am about to take off the filter. Should I try to open it or something to make sure there is no metal or anything in the filter? The engine does have a odd tick to it, so I am a bit paranoid and looking for anything that might seem out of place.

I did find some Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil, so at least that will be better then what I had in there. I was told to use cheap oil for break in purpose because I was just going to drain it out right away anyway. I was now informed that was the wrong advice to take. Better late with good oil then never, I hope.

Thanks much!

Is the grey creamy color gritty break in lube?

Well... Because I was wrongfully informed, I didn't use any break in oil.
So?? I suck.

However... The Cam was well lubed with the stuff that came in the Lunati box. Hopefully that counts for something.

Well... Because I was wrongfully informed, I didn't use any break in oil.
So?? I suck.

However... The Cam was well lubed with the stuff that came in the Lunati box. Hopefully that counts for something.

I have about the same break in miles on my new 416 before I shut it down for the winter. I am waiting until spring to change the oil and filter before I fire it for the first time in the spring. The oil on the dipstick looks normal with 30 weight Kendall racing oil in it right now and break in lube. Before it starts this spring it will get 20w50 racing and a prime. I plan to run 20w50 after I start it when it is regularly over 50 degrees.....Hope I didn't hijack but I figured I would chime in with a similar situation and see if we should wait until it is a certain temp outside.

michformulaS- Waiting sucks, don't it! I could wait no longer!
It was because of the tick I have though that made me want to check the oil sooner, anxiety you know? I wanted to make sure there was no metal partials floating around. Kind of cool looking really... Swirly grey matter floating in the oil :) Not gritty feeling or anything. It is a creamy color... but so far I found no chips of any sort. I personally don't see what the weather really makes a difference? I mean people start up there cars a couple times a month in storage anyway? so?? Whats the difference. Since my engine has been broke in already there should be no reason to prime again, is there? It's been sitting for 2 months about.

Alright, enough fear mongering and let's look at the reality of it.
What oil did you use for startup?
It's not quite as important as the assembly lube. Back in the early 90's a buddy bought a reman 350shivvy and we put it in his truck at my place. His motor, he was in charge. get it all assembled and fire it up! Sounds good except for the badass clanking of the rockers...I jumped up and yanked a cover and had him fire it again....no oil! LOL Called the guy that built it, he said to rev it for a while...LOL did that! got louder! called him again and he said, what about the oil pump rod? Doh...damn shivvy's!
Anyway, it was fine after all that!!!

Buy some SuperTech and a bottle of stp...let it get good and hot before you change it.
When the car is gonna be sitting you wanna change the oil just prior to storage to remove corrosive crap.

-
Back