First oil change on new Ram.

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2017 Ram and was thinking of changing the oil for first time. Has 1100 miles on it. Owners manual says 10,000mi. Too long in my opinion. I think its ok to change it soon ans switch to synthetic and not wait that long. Dealer says it's not necessary yet. What are your thoughts?

No need to do it now. Wait and do it when recommended. Oils and filter as superior to what they were years ago. Efi eliminates flooding the oil with gas too.

They want me to change the oil in my 2013 2.4 Avenger every 6.000 miles I believe, I do it every 4.500 or try to because it just bugs the chit out of me to see it role over 3.500 :rofl:

I agree with Joe. Oils etc are way better now. BUT you asked the question, so it's already bugging you lol. What' the cost of an oil change vs that NAGGING feeling lol.
You should do it this morning...i can hear the engine ticking from here.....
No need to do it now. Wait and do it when recommended. Oils and filter as superior to what they were years ago. Efi eliminates flooding the oil with gas too.

They want me to change the oil in my 2013 2.4 Avenger every 6.000 miles I believe, I do it every 4.500 or try to because it just bugs the chit out of me to see it role over 3.500 :rofl:

you got sucked in to that old bullshit jiffy lube brain washing... :)

you got sucked in to that old bullshit jiffy lube brain washing... :)
Well , maybe, but I was raised to always change it at 3 grand, I know these new engines are cleaner and much closer tolerances but it just bugs the chit out of me when I see 4 grand on an oil change I guess, never been to Jiffy Lub , always change my own, I don't trust anyone :lol:

i do mine when the light comes on at 10,000 miles.. i don't sweat it at all..
I am getting better at letting it go towards 5 grand , Happy life a happy truck/Car engine I guess eh :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input. I think I'll wait a bit longer and change it before my road trip in March.
Thanks, Paul

My 16 Ram 3500 Diesel states 15,000 miles and it is NOT synthetic. I did my first at 4500 and my 2nd at a little over 6000 later. Not sure I'll ever be able to go 15000 between changes even though it's a fairly expensive oil change. BTW, the new Cummins diesel oil filter is a PITA to change. Can't get to it from the bottomside. Have to take it out the side through the front wheel opening.

Change the oil and filter in the daily drivers every 3000 miles:D:D

My 16 Ram 3500 Diesel states 15,000 miles and it is NOT synthetic. I did my first at 4500 and my 2nd at a little over 6000 later. Not sure I'll ever be able to go 15000 between changes even though it's a fairly expensive oil change. BTW, the new Cummins diesel oil filter is a PITA to change. Can't get to it from the bottomside. Have to take it out the side through the front wheel opening.

It's easier to get the oil filter from the top side. Just loosen the clamps on each end of the air tube between the air filter housing and down by the turbo. There will be another smaller tube/hose that comes off the big tube that has one of those dumb spring style clamps that look similar to a Corbin clamp that will need to come off as well. I ended up replacing that clamp with a normal hose clamp just to make the job easier the next time. I also remove the block heater plug off the heater element so it don't interfere with my filter wrench when cranking the filter off. Changing the oil filter from the top has worked for me for 20 plus years. Also the owners manuals states to use full synthetic oil for both our 2014 and 2016 company trucks.

Well , maybe, but I was raised to always change it at 3 grand, I know these new engines are cleaner and much closer tolerances but it just bugs the chit out of me when I see 4 grand on an oil change I guess, never been to Jiffy Lub , always change my own, I don't trust anyone :lol:

That 3000 mile garbage was put out there years ago bu jiffy lube carbs and crappy compared to today oils.

The 3000 and 3500 mile oil change intervals are perhaps the biggest fraud since Obama. They were brought on by the quick oil change chains like Jiffy Lube and such through the 70s to take gullible peoples' money. Be smart. Change the oil when the manual says so. These newer oil additive packages are alien technology. They are so far ahead of anything even 20 years ago it's ridiculous. Save your money and do it right.

In my pick up truck I let it roll until about 5 then I change it. I got a friend with a power stroke that still changes his ever 3k miles. I’m pretty sure it’s about $100 everytime he changes it also.

oil change places want money and say 3000. dealers want money by selling u a new vehicle more often. has always been a good rule to do the first change early - say 3000. after that go around 7000

On my 2014 5.7 hemi it says 10,000 mi so I let it go pretty close to that. I take it to the dealer and they charge $34.44 for oil change and they check everything and top off fluids. It is a no brainer for me because I can't even buy 7 qts of synthetic for that. My 8 speed does not even have a dipstick for me to check. They say they pull the plug out and check it. Everything else gets changed at 5,000 mi except my two 67's and I change it when I think it needs it.

I change oil in my daily drivers every 5000. Easy to remember.... 135,***, 140,xxxx, etc etc. 25 years ago I did every 3000. But the cars I drive now are FI, and idle going down the road, and oil is better.....
Oil is BETTER, but it still gets dirty. At 5000, the oil is black when I drain it. The texture even feels different on my fingers vs the new oil going in. I couldn't do 10,000. As stated above, car companies want to sell you cars as bad as Jiffy Lubes want to sell you oil.
Some of our fleet...
'01 Ram has 240,000
'05 Pontiac that I just sold my son has 237,000
'03 Caravan has 211,000
All purr like kittens, without a lifter tick.

Ok. A fleet vehicle agency my old employer leased from demanded first oil change be done at 500 to 750 kilometres. You read it correctly. Their claim is,less engine trouble at the +200,000km mark. Through the repair tracking ,costs are reduced.
Nother story
2014 chevy pickup
Dealer changed oil from new. New purchase-decal showed service at 5,000.
Next one,another 5,000 and so on.
Almost 50,000 and came to me for service. I suggested 10,000 for full synthetic.
“Dealer said 5,000 for warranty” she said.
I called “BS!”
Opened owner’s manual and it stated 12,000 average by oil life monitor.
So,9 oil changes versus 5 by 50,000 km’s.
She was quite taken aback to say the very least. Dealer got an earful at her next visit.

Have a few customers that go 10k.
Oil isnt real black at that mileage. Even though they have over 300,000 km on them.

The oil from my 06 diesel is very dirty at 3,000. How well do the newer oils "suspend" grit especially for diesels? I bought oil the other day and to get the same oil I've been using the guy had to get it in the back of the store. He came out with one gallon and I told him I needed 2 more. He gave me a strange look.

The 3000 and 3500 mile oil change intervals are perhaps the biggest fraud since Obama. They were brought on by the quick oil change chains like Jiffy Lube and such through the 70s

Jiffy Lube DIDN'T come about til 1979 so much for the 70's..as for the original poster change your oil when you feel it needs it oil and filters are cheap enough to buy..change mine every 3000 could careless what all the so-called expert's think:):):)

-
Back