first post

-

tl1000r

Reaction score
I am from southern Ontario and looking for lots of info and advice on my project.

Although I have owner my 73 duster for 30 yrs plus, I have just started to do a rebuild and know very little about mopar's in general (in terms of rebuilding them). I have built many (many, many, many) fords over the years but its time to go back to my roots and baby and bring her back to awesome LOL.

Car is a 73 duster with a 340 and a 4 speed. Original slant 6 car with an auto. Motor is very tired so I just pulled it yesterday with the trans and now I am unsure what way to go.

Rebuilt the 340? Crate engine? Newer hemi?

I do know I need a 5 speed (no OD sucks). Not sure which one? (TKO?)

I do know I want fuel injection (leaning towards Holley).

The other reality is spending 50k on a car work 30 makes zero sense. So budget is always a concern BUT I will never sell this car so doing it right is important.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome to FABO. This is a happening place for A Body Mopar.

Welcome from North Dakota and yes I have to much money in mine and like you never plan on selling it. We build them to enjoy and brings back good memories for us old guys.

Welcome from another S/W Ontario Mopar lover. This site is full of great guys, advice and info. I use the search button all the time. Joined originally for info when helping my son with his 70 dart, but I'm addicted now and I'm constantly reading different threads in preparation for my 74 sport rebuild... same situation as you by the sounds of it. Lots of guys on here from London/ Windsor area. Great to have you, and yes we like picts, no matter what shape!

Welcome for the we(s)t coast of the country!

If your funds allow it, consider having the 340 rebuilt. The allure of having a strong running 340 is pretty cool and, since you already have a 340 engine, you’re part of the way there.

Welcome from another Texan. As far as what to put back in place of the /6, let your finances be your guide. Look into the various combinations & decide what is best for you. Most of all, have fun & don't let someone tell you how to build "your" car.

Welcome to FABO, 340 is a pretty cool engine, I would consider rebuilding it....you already have it, build better.

welcome

plenty of members from canada on here

since the 340 isnt original i wouldn't think twice about selling it and building a 408 instead

i guess the first thing to consider is your budget
if you have made budgets on your fords before, double that and your close to what you need

well, where my thoughts are right now regarding the build....

I would like 350-400 RWHP. Needs a 5 speed with OD. Tired of the 2800rpm highway runs. Needs to be fuel injected.

The issue is really costs. The car was originally done in 1989 and I purchased in 1991. Engine has 30-35 years of wear. I was told it was 60 over when I purchased the car (I think). Keep in mind I was 16 and knew NOTHING at that point LOL. Body and paint are decent. Its the additional costs that are never factored by most. Alum rad, mini starter, MSD box/coil, exhaust, rebuilt alternator, intake, valve covers etc etc etc.

The motor I figure 7k, trans 5k, 2k fuel injection, miscel another 5k. Gets me to 19k and it really needs rims and tires too.

My head says to sell it as I have advised many a mustang owner over the years as it is cheaper to buy something done. That said, I was 16 and saved for 4 years to buy this. Its the only thing I still own from my youth.

Decisions decisions decisions

If it matters I regret selling my 68 Coronet R/T, my 71 GTX and my 1970 Datsun 2000 Roadster.....but at the time my crystal ball was broken

LOL....Yup. V twin power in a sport bike body. Bigger than the new stuff but to be honest, way more bike than I need. Love the sound and the yellow make sit stand out

I have ridden for 50 years...had the Honda equivalent...1999 Superhawk

-
Back