FIRST REBUILD> 225 slant six

-

66_dart_270

Reaction score
this would be my first rebuild.. i am just wondering what all it would take to replace every gasket in the full engine gasket kit that i bought. i can borrow an engine hoist and engine stand from a friend. how long would this take me? are there any good stock builds that go step by step on here? i want to repaint and refinish everything under the hood after putting new gaskets on the entire engine. it is currently running, but not amazingly. on the cylinder side of the engine there is oil on the engine. some under 5th and 6th cylinder at head gasket and much much more around valve covers.

Measure the compression first. If fine, no need to rebuild. Oil leaks can be fixed easy with engine in car, without a rebuild. Yours sound typical. The spark plug tube seals are a common leak and the seals are cheap. If set on a rebuild, consider:

1. Remove engine and tranny together, especially if tranny needs a rebuild too.
2. Remove engine, tranny, and K-frame together from underneath (lift body up to roll out), if all need a rebuild.
3. If rings are worn, but cylinders are still round, you can just hone the cylinders with a hand drill and install new rings. I have done this with engine in car (Mopar 4 & 8 cyl).
4. If cylinders are too worn, you will need to take to a machine shop to over-bore and buy bigger pistons.

How long it takes depends on how much you know, how fast and long you work, and what tools you have. I did a re-ring of a Mopar 383 in ~1.5 weeks working some weekday evenings and most of a weekend, sending the heads to a shop.

-
Back