First time classic car owner

-

OldSoul_02

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m glad to have found this community!

Ill go ahead with a quick introduction:
While growing up through high school and the years since, I have wanted to participate in the car culture my Father grew up in during the early 70’s. The desire to work on a classic car has grown greatly over the last year and a half, and I recently had the opportunity to buy a 69 barracuda, which I simply couldn’t turn down. Body and frame appear to be pretty excellent, but mechanically everything needs to be gone through. Unfortunately the reality of my situation is that it is no longer 1970, and I haven’t grown up working on cars. I could really use a referral to an expert on classic Mopar in the AnnArbor/Flint Michigan area that could come look at the car.

I think I saw an old post about an experienced guy named Adam around that area

Last edited:
Post some photos and describe the worst of the issues. Plenty of folks here will likely chime in with guidance and advice.
Will also give a good idea of the kind of expert you may need to find.

IMG_0962.jpeg

Welcome to FABO from SoCal!
You better post some pics of your new toy before you're inundated with requests.
Lots of great people here with tons of knowledge will help you get any issues sorted out.

How could I neglect to add pictures? Thanks for the reminder!
IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

Major Mechanical Problems I know of so far and could use advice on:
- Water leak on the engine, sounds like it is dripping on the driver's side exhaust manifold and boiling on contact. My best guess is that the freeze plug is bad between the manifold connections.
- Clutch isn't right, it sticks open only while the engine is running. I checked out the mounting for the clutch pedal, and it looks like it's about to come off of the ball joint.
- Front of the car rides too low (worried about oil pan getting ripped off on these Michigan roads), need to adjust the torsion bars, not sure of the best way to go about it.

Im also not sure if the engine has ever been rebuilt, it appears it was painted fully assembled, so no hints there.

While growing up through high school and the years since, I have wanted to participate in the car culture my Father grew up in during the early 70’s. The desire to work on a classic car has grown greatly over the last year and a half, and I recently had the opportunity to buy a 69 barracuda, which I simply couldn’t turn down. Body and frame appear to be pretty excellent, but mechanically everything needs to be gone through. Unfortunately the reality of my situation is that it is no longer 1970, and I haven’t grown up working on cars. I could really use a referral to an expert on classic Mopar in the AnnArbor/Flint Michigan area that could come look at the car.

I live in Pinckney, and work in An Arbor every day. Pinckney is about 1/2 between Ann Arbor and Flint, if you’re interested in someone working on the car, my buddy Rick Adams work on everybodies car around here. He’s done a few cars for FABO members, and is very meticulous and thorough. He’s very knowledgeable about Mopars, and has done a few Barracudas in the last couple years. PM me if you’d like to chat about it, and I’ll put you in touch with him.

If you want to raise the front end loosen the lower control arm big bolts to go to the K member and then Jack it up using the Adjusters that are inside the bottom of the lower control arms. If you have a bad freeze plug on that manifold side you're going to have to remove the manifold that's going to be the hardest part

Welcome from Texas.

I would seek out experienced Mopar HOBBIEST in your area to point you to a mechanic that an address simple issues.

Super slick looking car! Yes slick paint on an engine just confirms it w painted!

This site is full of knowledgable people tht love to help, but you an't eat an elephant in just one bite.

Welcome aboard! My first recommendation is to purchase a factory Chrysler service manual for your car. Not Chiltons. Not Haynes. CHRYSLER. I prefer printed first editions, but you may like the CD style. Then you need to actually read the thing. lol It can teach you a lot right from the rip. And that's even if you don't plan on restoring it back to original condition.

How could I neglect to add pictures? Thanks for the reminder!
View attachment 1716097075

View attachment 1716097077

View attachment 1716097081

View attachment 1716097084

View attachment 1716097085

View attachment 1716097086

Major Mechanical Problems I know of so far and could use advice on:
- Water leak on the engine, sounds like it is dripping on the driver's side exhaust manifold and boiling on contact. My best guess is that the freeze plug is bad between the manifold connections.
- Clutch isn't right, it sticks open only while the engine is running. I checked out the mounting for the clutch pedal, and it looks like it's about to come off of the ball joint.
- Front of the car rides too low (worried about oil pan getting ripped off on these Michigan roads), need to adjust the torsion bars, not sure of the best way to go about it.

Im also not sure if the engine has ever been rebuilt, it appears it was painted fully assembled, so no hints there.
That's badass!

Wow what a great car to get into the hobby with! There are really knowledgable members here that can walk you through most repairs. They haven't let me down. Just ask away.

:welcome: to the best Mopar site on the net. You have a great car there bud.
First thing you should address, is it looks like the fuel line is nearly on the exhaust manifold.
Reroute like the factory did.
Thank you! Yeah, I was a bit spooked when I saw how the fuel line was attached. I ordered an oem material replacement from inline tube, haven’t had a chance to put it on yet.

Welcome aboard! My first recommendation is to purchase a factory Chrysler service manual for your car. Not Chiltons. Not Haynes. CHRYSLER. I prefer printed first editions, but you may like the CD style. Then you need to actually read the thing. lol It can teach you a lot right from the rip. And that's even if you don't plan on restoring it back to original condition.
For sure! I imagine it’s defiantly worth the investment. I’ve seen the service manual for my dads grand national and it’s pretty all encompassing

Thank you to all who have responded with words of encouragement and advice, you all have surpassed my expectations for this community. I’ll say it again, I’m glad I found this place already!

Nice looking car! I'm also a first classic car owner so we have one thing in common.

For sure! I imagine it’s defiantly worth the investment. I’ve seen the service manual for my dads grand national and it’s pretty all encompassing
When I got the FSM for my 68 Coronet, , it cost me 120 bucks ,delivered. In '93...Definitely Worth it!

-
Back