first time down the track advise?

-
I know this sounds dumb..but do you have a hood scoop on the car? When my Son and I first ran our Vega it would run good till half track and then would buck and snort like it was running out of fuel. Long story short we hadn't sealed the hood to the carb and at speed the air rushing past the carb would siphon the fuel out of the secondaries. We taped a temp card board seal on it and solved the problem.Not likely in your case but just something to think about.

Why do something that MIGHT work when a good electric pump WILL work?

I don't understand.

I haven't decided what route to take yet
the easiest way seems to be to replace the mechanical fuel pump with a high output fuel pump, because it will plumb right in where the other one is, that, and the cost, are the biggest draws of that one

I will do whatever is best, but as this point, I'm just trying to figure out what is best

Well when is the next t&t, when are we going to see pictures and time slips ? ?

twice a week, Wednesday evenings, but I'm not skipping church to go to the track, so it will have to be a Friday evening
I'm not planning on going back until I have this fuel issue resolved, so it may be a few weeks

the buddy I brought to take pictures brought a phone with a dead battery, so there is one pic and one video, ill try to upload those for you guys

the numbers of my best run are listed in post #30 but I can snap a pic of the actual print out and post it too

I know this sounds dumb..but do you have a hood scoop on the car? When my Son and I first ran our Vega it would run good till half track and then would buck and snort like it was running out of fuel. Long story short we hadn't sealed the hood to the carb and at speed the air rushing past the carb would siphon the fuel out of the secondaries. We taped a temp card board seal on it and solved the problem.Not likely in your case but just something to think about.

nope, no scoop
the first time this happened was with the air filter on
when I removed the air filter, it did not change

Good first time. Being able to drive it home is a win in my book.
If you want to plumb in a return line just copy the 70 Hemi system and use the filter. It has an 1/4 inch orfice already in it.
As Rusty said, a electric pump will fix it.

First congrats on a good trip. Second, it does sound like a fuel delivry issue, but mechanical pumps and 5/16 lines will feed 500+ hp and run in the 11s. I would go over the lines you have from tank forward making sure ther are no kinks in the rubber or steel sections. Then rebuild your carb, making sure the passages ate clean and bleeds blown out well. Make sure the floats are set so the fuel just dribbles out the bowls at idle. Then retest.

First congrats on a good trip. Second, it does sound like a fuel delivry issue, but mechanical pumps and 5/16 lines will feed 500+ hp and run in the 11s. I would go over the lines you have from tank forward making sure ther are no kinks in the rubber or steel sections. Then rebuild your carb, making sure the passages ate clean and bleeds blown out well. Make sure the floats are set so the fuel just dribbles out the bowls at idle. Then retest.

I'm running a mechanical pump with my 408. - 4.10 gears, 520 HP. Could be your pump isn't pulling like it should for one of several reasons. I don't mind electric pumps but good mechanical are out there and they're quieter.

I was running 6.20's in the 1/8 with a Carter Mechanical fuel pump with 3/8 rubber line from cell to the carb.

I would go over the lines you have from tank forward making sure ther are no kinks in the rubber or steel sections.

Dave may have hit on something here with the lines.

Eelco, how old are the rubber lines? Is the one back by the tank possibly collapsing inside if it's old?

thanks , I was still happy with it

ill crawl under there tomorrow and inspect the lines
the carb should be clean, it is less then a year old
can you expound on setting the floats, does this mean I set the fuel level so low that they open at idle?
the carb is a proform 750, which is a basic holley design and it has nickle size sight glasses, which I had the level set right in the middle of the glass
Dave may have hit on something here with the lines.

Eelco, how old are the rubber lines? Is the one back by the tank possibly collapsing inside if it's old?

shouldn't be any older then 45 years ;)
I'm really not sure
the P.O. stated he had the sending unit replaced, so I would imagine at least the very tail part of the line is new (or about 2-3 years old), but I really do know

I had a similar problem when I first put my 340 together in my dart. Had a carter HV mechanical pump on it, 3\8 line except the pick up was factory 5/16. It ran 14.1 on street tires first time out, started tuning and got sticky tires down to 13.3's. Once I got to that point I could jet up and down and it would run the same number. I put a Holley black pump and regulator, that got it in the 12.9's, everything else the same except fuel pump, it also responded to jet and timing changes.

Does the gas tank have a good working vent? A gas cap labeled 'vented' probably wont cut it.

.....mechanical pumps and 5/16 lines will feed 500+ hp and run in the 11s........

EXACTLY why I made the recommendation I did! What he has right now is capable of that when he gets it to hook with two tired pulling.

Does the gas tank have a good working vent? A gas cap labeled 'vented' probably wont cut it.

i believe it does
this tank had a vent line which ran from the tank, to the engine bay, and was then plumbed into a 3 way breather

when i swapped in the V8 i vented that line to the atmosphere

The first time I went racing (back in the 70s) I was so nervous. My first concern was to avoid looking like an idiot. (I still had hope back then) My second concern was trying to beat the Chevelle that had lined up next to me. The adrenaline was really pumping and I caught a good light but the Chevelle launched quicker. Going down the track I was pulling on him and forgot all about shifting. The 383 didn't like the revs and a rod bolt gave way just before the end of the quarter. We had to tow rope the Roadrunner back home.

So, take it EASY. Relax. Have a good time. Run everything through your head a few times before you actually line up. If your 408 revs as fast as mine those shift points are there before you know it.
I didn`t read all this, but my advise would be , WAIT TILL U GET A BETTER REAR END. u need 2 wheels pullin, I think you`ll be sadly disappointed !

thanks Bob
that is in the works
i intend to keep the 3.23 gears in there but i picked up a sure grip unit a while ago to go with them

i just need the funds to have them installed

Doubt it..been running a six pack hood w/ no air filter for 6 seasons now never a fuel delivery problem..

Your running a "stroker" it needs more fuel and more gear..toss the mech. pump and 5/16 line in favor of a electric pump and atleast 3/8 line..i would run atleast 3.91's too..

This is just my experience of course but I still have the stock slant 6 fuel line (rusty metal) between the summit Holly knock-off electric fuel pump and the dual quad tunnel ram and seem to be in the middle elevans no problem so I'm just throwing this in the Hat for thought
:popcorn:

This is just my experience of course but I still have the stock slant 6 fuel line (rusty metal) between the summit Holly knock-off electric fuel pump and the dual quad tunnel ram and seem to be in the middle elevans no problem so I'm just throwing this in the Hat for thought
:popcorn:

To each his/her own first thing the place that built the heads for my stroker suggested bigger fuel line,electric pump..may never go lean because of lack of fuel but it only takes once and "baboom" why chance in motors aren't cheap..well most..

LMAO why does it seem like everything on this forum is the last word contest ?
oh brother

i believe it does
this tank had a vent line which ran from the tank, to the engine bay, and was then plumbed into a 3 way breather

when i swapped in the V8 i vented that line to the atmosphere

But, is there bugs and trash in there that may be restricting the venting of the tank?

Does it still have the factory sock filter on the pickup? The one that was on my Dart when I bought it was pretty much stopped up. I used compressed air to blow it off, remove the gas cap if you try this though.

But, is there bugs and trash in there that may be restricting the venting of the tank?

mhh, good point
I left the vent in the engine bay
I think I will clean it out real nice and then add a nipple to the bottom of the air filter to attach it too
that should ensure nothing gets in there that shouldn't
Does it still have the factory sock filter on the pickup? The one that was on my Dart when I bought it was pretty much stopped up. I used compressed air to blow it off, remove the gas cap if you try this though.

you mean you left it in the tank, and just blew compressed air into the line that feeds the engine ?

I don't know if it still has the old sock, the previous owner mentioned he had the pickup replaced, so I cant imagine it did not at least get cleaned off, if not replaced

I blew mine before the fuel pump, just a couple quick bursts and left the sock in the tank.

-
Back