First time engine assembly

-

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I got my 440 back from machine shop mostly assembled but I still need to put water pump housing, timing cover,valley pan, intake, oil pickup and pan and valve covers on the new engine, I've never put one together before, where can I find accurate torque sequence and numbers for everything and where to use rtv or keep it dry?

It sound like you have a machine shop rebuilt and assembled "Long Block"? Just need to add the remaining parts to it. A factory service manual of any year that covers the 440 will have the torque specs that you need. 1966-78.
I use RTV on the oil pan, water pump, timing cover gaskets. Valley pan, some people do, others don't use and added sealant there.
I sure other will chime in here with more help on your questions.

The Machine shop would consider this leaving the tin for you to put on. It's a fun way to kind of make yourself feel like you had something to do with building a motor. My machine shop recommended the "right stuff" from Permatex and I have. Nothing since as I have not had any leaks on anyting. I love this product and recommend it to everybody. Make sure you put some "right stuff" or whatever Permatex on the bolts going into the water pump. Also on the intake manifolds going into the oiling jackets. It's a few dollars more expensive and expect that but also expect not to be wiping up oil off your motor or floor.

I got my 440 back from machine shop mostly assembled but I still need to put water pump housing, timing cover,valley pan, intake, oil pickup and pan and valve covers on the new engine, I've never put one together before, where can I find accurate torque sequence and numbers for everything and where to use rtv or keep it dry?
Motors book has all the torque settings and specs you need. Helped me build my 416.

LMAO!!! WHAT IN HELL IS WRONG WITH the factory shop manual? You can download them FREE from MyMopar

No, I don't work there LOL

A few of the manuals over there are from the efforts of the guys on here

Honestly when I'm fixing to torque the heads on I look up or Google head torque for small-block Mopar and when I get to something I just voice command in the Google on my phone and I've usually pop something up.

-
Back