first timer 318 rebuild

-

peelo57

Reaction score
So after all thinking, ordering parts and machining parts I finally have everything to start rebuild my 318.

You can read my rebuild plans etc in this tread:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244352&page=4&highlight=rebuild

So far its going great, i will try pictures later today.

I just have on broblem.......

My pistons kb167 came 0.020'' over deck at furtest piston..

My gasket are felpro 8553pt, Are these 0.053 at compressed?

That would make my deck clearance 0.033'' is this too little???

Here is some pictures.

Machinist measured all clearances etc, but i made sure and used clay bar.
All were just fine.

Piston rings i had to file because those kb-pistons need wider gap

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 251
  • 17.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 19.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 259
.035 is the magic number many engine builders shoot for with all steel parts ,you are close ,I would let it go.

If I read your build thread correctly, you're running open chamber 318 heads anyway. Unless you're running a closed chamber, you're in no danger of hitting. .033" would be close for a close chambered engine, but even then as long as you're not spinning it to the moon, you'd likely have no issues.

The .035" number is really kind of an arbitrary closest recommended tolerance based on max intended RPM, and what factory parts remain...pretty sure it also harkens from SBC lore. The longer the stroke, the bigger the piston, the greater the piston speed, the more that tolerance should be opened.

Yes. i am running open heads..

But stock 318 open head have smaller burn are than piston, there is about 6mm wide tiny ''quench'' area in each side of piston.

I have pictures of measurements of these areas and valve clearances.
There was about 0.04'' room on those quench areas.
clay in pistons valve relief didn't show any marks, so plenty of room there.

Actually i got engine ready and installed trans and k member to engine.
Everything else inside of engine went in really well, all bearings measured, preloads cheked etc, hopefully it will work:)

Hole thing is still out of car.
I just noticed that i put my engine mounts on wrong side of engine...
driver side header didn't clear power steering unit :)

Have to change those.
I will also modify driver side header so i will get more ground clearance.
I have cheap hooker headers and driver side is bad, i have ps and pb so that side is real maze.

The hooker headers should fit just fine with P/S and P/B however, they ARE indeed a giant pain in the *** to install and they do lack some ground clearance.

.040" clearance should be fine.

I ran .020 quench on my 360 with Eddies an KBs for one summer with all kinds of abuse. At seasons end I pulled the motor for freshening and found no witness marks, and no traceable damage.
For the next iteration I sold the 292/509 cam, in favor of a 223* cam, and opened up the quench to .035. Its been there for 13 or14 years.

-
Back