Fish out of water.

-

cuda67bnl

Reaction score
Okay guys, I thought I'd start a thread on my 67 Notch. I've had it for about 14 years, and it's been buried inside my shop for the last 8 or so. I recently decided to dig it out and get it back on the road. It was literally buried in old junk. I should've took some pics of it before I pulled it out to show all the stuff piled on top of it, but here's one just after getting it out.

100_0687.jpg

Here's one after a quick wash off.

100_0693.jpg

Now, my shop has always had a dirt floor, with plywood layed down over part of it. Not the best situation for working on stuff, but I've always managed. Well, I decided if I was gonna work on the 'notch, it was gonna be in a better situation. So, I spent the last few days pulling everything out of the shop, and getting it ready for a concrete floor. I also tore down the old doors, and will be redoing them as well.

100_0729.jpg

If you look in the next pic, you can see blue lines across the back wall at the bottom. That's the "level" line for the concrete. The ground is unlevel inside. The slab is gonna be 4 inches thick on the left side, and will vary from 8 inches to almost 14 inches down the right side. I should be able to park a tank on it when it cures. We'll be pouring it tomorrow, and should have the car back inside this weekend.

100_0728.jpg

First thing on the agenda is to get her cleaned up good. Next, the motor is coming out. It's got a 318 in it right now. I rebuilt it right before I parked the car, and it only has about 30 miles on it. But it's gonna be replaced with a "warmed over" 360. I've got a '71 model block and crank that I had machined before I last parked the car. It's been bagged, and sitting in a spare bedroom for about 9 years. I'm gonna use it for the basis of the new build. A rear end upgrade will be the 2nd thing tackled, after the motor.

100_0727.jpg

100_0726.jpg

I'll post some pics of the new 'slab' tomorrow.

Jimmy
Loganville, GA.

Excellent!!! Cool project. :wav: She looks really good, how the inside?

The inside needs a ton of loving. I'm hoping the seats will clean back up, as they were in pretty good shape when I parked it. It needs carpet and a headliner and a hell of a cleaning. Floors are solid though. Someone who owned it before me butchered the dash up at the ashtray, and bondo-ed it. I've got a 68 dash frame to go in it, along with the 68 upper and lower pads and AC vents. I want to get AC back on it at some point. I've been searching for a set of headliner bows for it if anyone has a set. I found a set last week in Canada, but the guy hasn't got back to me about them. I should be shot for letting it sit and ruin for last 8 years. It's gonna take a bunch of work to make it half way respectable.......

100_0738.jpg

100_0737.jpg

100_0736.jpg

100_0735.jpg

100_0734.jpg

100_0739.jpg

Just as an aside, gravel is much cheaper than concrete. Fill up your low spots with 3/4- first, compact, then pour concrete. Just my .02

rednesss said:
Just as an aside, gravel is much cheaper than concrete. Fill up your low spots with 3/4- first, compact, then pour concrete. Just my .02
A smart guy would do that! I debated on that actually, but after figuring the time involved, costs, etc, I decided to just pour it. It hurt the wallet a bit, but was easier in the long run. Of course, I could of bought some nice 'goodies' with the $$ saved......

The fish look's great and this will be a nice prodject.
If you do not mind me saying would now be a good time to put plastic
down so your floor won't sweat? Nothing worse than a wet floor.
And I would advise that you not put a car in there for a week or so
That concrete will be green for awhile, So to prevent a funny crack in
the middle of the floor let it cure well.
I put a chain on each side of the floor in the wet concrete so if I needed to pull something like a twisted bumper I could hook a come a long to the chain in the floor and pull with it. Just thinking of anything before the poor .

Hope everything go's well for ya.

memike said:
I put a chain on each side of the floor in the wet concrete so if I needed to pull something like a twisted bumper I could hook a come a long to the chain in the floor and pull with it. Just thinking of anything before the poor .

That's a great idea!! I think I'll do something like that, if I don't forget. I think I have some large I-bolts somewhere that would work great for that. And, plastic is on the to-do list in the morning.....

are you insulating the floor as well? you might want to consider cutting the floor too. We do that here so when/if if cracks, it does it where you cut. good luck with it.

wow, that is quite the difference from dirty to clean, its suprising on how much better a car can look when its washed, nice project, keep us posted :thumbup:

Here's a few shots of the big pour today. It took 15 yards of concrete, and set me back some hard cash, but it will be worth it to have a better place to work on the fish.

100_0754.jpg

100_0759.jpg

100_0767.jpg

100_0770.jpg

100_0774.jpg

I'm itching to get in there and walk around on it, but I'm gonna wait until tomorrow. I probably won't start moving any stuff back in there until Saturday or most likely Sunday. Right now, all my tools and stuff are packed into the other half of the building, and piled up out in the yard. I hope to get the new doors built on Saturday. Hopefully by next weekend I can start on the car, and at least get it cleaned up some.

Wow you got it pored! And look's great. :thumbup:
I have never seen a concrete truck like that here in Arkansas.
Don't forget to put the born on date on the slab. :blob:

Got it! I put it on the outside.....

100_0775.jpg

Yeah, these trucks are pretty nice. I think I made a couple of bank payments on the 2 trucks that were here today. The crete cost me $1900, plus what I paid the guys for pouring it........ That could've been some nice motor parts........

Well, I decided to re-do the whole front wall on the shop. I built a small retaining wall, built new doors, and covered it all in new metal. I got some of my tools and other stuff moved back inside too. But most importantly, I got the car back inside tonight. I hope to start cleaning it up, and getting the motor out in the next few days. It's REALLY nice to have a concrete floor finally!

shop008.jpg

shop007.jpg

shop005.jpg

That's looking Great ! Lot's of work area ! May I suggest, LOTS of Flourescent lighting and paint the inside white. Maybe even coat the floor with White Epoxy paint. It's the one thing I wish I had when I built my car. Better lighting...

Enjoy your build n new Garage!

PS Dont forget your Exaust is on the roof.. LOL

now that is called motivation!!!!!!! good goin' man! a good working environment helps the whole job go easier.

Geez Dude...when do you sleep? :toothy7:

Looks like you've got a great start on a nice place to work. I agree, add as many lights as your wiring will hold and splash some white paint on the walls. It'll make a HUGE difference!

And let's not forget the reason you did this: to save another old fish. Good luck with your plans on getting your Notch back on the road.

What'a Fish!!!!!!That's a good project,good luck!with the shop and the blue fish!!

how long can a fish be out of water?........you have done alot in a short time. keep it up. the shop looks awesome.

Well I snatched the motor out this afternoon. I had forgotten just how tight things were in an A-body engine compartment. I should've went ahead and pulled the transmission with it, but I'll get that in another day or so. Now it's time to roll the fish outside and take the pressure washer to it, and get it cleaned up some. I need to do some serious work on the wiring under the hood too. I'll probably pull the interior out in the next few days too, and see if the seats will clean up or not.

100_0785.jpg

100_0786.jpg

I've got some white paint, and will likely spray the walls again inside the shop before I get too much farther into the car, and before I get the rest of my stuff moved back in. But I need to borrow or rent a sprayer first. I'll deal with better lighting later on down the road. The current lighting is more than adequate for what I'm doing right now. I've been working on stuff in this shop for the last 10 years and I've manged so far. Did I mention how nice it is to finally have a concrete floor? :wav:

-
Back