Fish out of water.

-
This guy is well on his way and in record time.
The shop and car is looking nice man. :thumbup:
Don't over do it and hurt your back,neck, or anything ells.
Something tells me I don't need to say keep on keeping on. :toothy7:

I'm self employed, and work has been really slow lately. I figure I might as well do something instead of sitting around all the time. Hopefully work will pick up, or I'm not gonna have any money to spend on this thing. I'm gonna make a showing though. At least until August, then I'll switch back over to my regular hobby of falconry.

Well after working in the yard most of the day, I went ahead and snatched the trans out of the car. I also went ahead and pulled the seats out so I can start cleaning up the inside. To my horror, I found that my floors aren't as solid as I had thought. Looks like I'll be doing some serious patch work that I wasn't expecting. I'll post photos of the floor later, after I get the inside cleaned up some. But here's a shot of the nasty trans, and what was found under the back seat.

100_0791.jpg

100_0790.jpg

Great reading and a nice project. You`ve done a great job with the floor in the shop
Love the Cragar wheels too

that seat picture reminds me of the dart, the whole bottom of the seat was one huge mouse house, man that sucked to clean. good progress pictures keep it up

Well, it's going on a year since I've posted anything about my notch. I've been buying a few parts here and there, but haven't done any work on the car. I pushed it outside today and decided to pressure wash the bottom side and try to clean it up in preparation for fixing the floors. Let me tell you, it was a lot of fun...... :banghead: I didn't get it all done, but made a heck of difference with what I did do. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. After all, all that gunk and grime has helped keep the rust at bay. I'm still undecided if I want to purchase new floors too, or just make my own patches. I'm leaning heavily towards just making patches, as nobody is ever gonna see it but me, and the carpet will cover it anyways.

After seeing several posts lately about rotiseries, I'm seriously thinking about building one. I'm not planning on a show car restoration, or anything close to it. But it would sure help make some things easier.

100_0570.jpg

Oh wow, this is awesome! I never saw this thread before. It's good to see you're finding time for the fish again! Can't wait for more progress pics!

Nice to see another fish seeing daylight again.

Screw the rats, they can find another home, and tell your notch mine says hi.

Wow, nothing like blending building/renovation and car building together!

Looks like you are getting ready to get back in the swing of things.
I love the beginning of a project, like me with my Dart, where everything is just beginning and I've got ideas pouring out of my head minute after minute.
If I stand by the car for a few minutes I end up there for hours looking things over, making plans, formulating ideas....
Ahhh, a new project.

Looks like you are getting ready to get back in the swing of things.

I'm trying to get swinging!
I jacked the other side of the car up this afternoon and did some more pressure washing. I'm gonna have to let the ground dry some before I do any more. It made a hell of a difference though. Even took a bunch of undercoating off in spots, so that'll save me some scraping. I'm gonna try to convince myself to start cutting out the rusted spots of the floor in the next few days. A rotisserie would sure be nice right now......

You were smart to let it sit INSIDE all that time and the plywood over the dirt was another plus.

Good luck with your fish.

The only problem was that the plywood covered the whole floor EXCEPT where the car was sitting.......

Here's a pic from where the car was sitting today. I'd say I got a little grime off the bottom of it.

100_0571.jpg

I left my house this morning a little after 5:00am. 8 hours and 438 miles later, I'm back home, with an 8 3/4 rear for my fish. $75 in gas, and $350 for the rear. Big bolt pattern, 11 x 2.5 drums. It's a C-body set-up that's been narrowed to A-body specs. Maybe not the best price in the world, but it was a lot cheaper than most that I've seen for sale lately. I've got an E-body rear that I'll be using the pig from, 489 case with either 323's or 355's, I can't remember which. Now I just need to find some shock plates and u bolts.

100_0573.jpg

100_0574.jpg

100_0575.jpg

100_0576.jpg

100_0577.jpg

I went by YearOne today since I was in the neighborhood. Got all 4 floor pans for my notch. $371.00. They seem to be pretty good, I just wish they made a bigger replacement pan that would cover the spot under the front seats. Being the impatient person I am, I went ahead and cut out the passenger side front floor this afternoon. I need to do some more cleaning, and clean up inside the frame rails and paint inside them. Then I'll weld the pan in. I'm gonna leave the pan where it overlaps the old floor, plug weld all the way around it, then weld the seams solid. More pics later.

100_0629.jpg

100_0628.jpg

100_0626.jpg

The front of the new pans have a lip that turns down. It's made to meet with the lip from the firewall. I'm just gonna beat the lip out flat so that it sits on top of the current floor. I really don't want to get into trying to cut out that part and do it the way the factory did it. Anyone see a problem with my way?

Nice work - it brings me back - layin on my back, sparks flyin off the grinder,
peppering me with little burns, nice --- those were the days!! Just makes you look forward to the really good burns when the welding starts.
Good luck - keep up the good work!!

When I saw the picture of the Thomas Concrete truck I new you wasn't to far away. I live in Anderson SC and there is a Thomas Concrete plant just about a 1/2 mile down the road from me.

Your doing a good job!

Do you know cudaspaz? He's got a great looking notch and lives in GA.

That last picture posted 5/4 isn't correct................it goes under the back of the car.
:toothy8:

Ahhhh!!!! Soon, I hope. I still need to score some shock plates and U-bolts. Plus I may wait til I'm a little farther along with the car.

-
Back