Fish Tanks

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Going to let the kids get a fish tank for there birthdays... Its a simple 10gal freshwater tank. Tank limit is going to be 5 fish... So my question is what are good low maintance freshwater fish.. NOT GOLDFISH.. Also they need to get along...

Going to let the kids get a fish tank for there birthdays... Its a simple 10gal freshwater tank. Tank limit is going to be 5 fish... So my question is what are good low maintance freshwater fish.. NOT GOLDFISH.. Also they need to get along...

Guppies

plecostomus scum eater

neons

"sharks"

That's an open question...I used to breed (lack of better term) fish, and sell them to "pet stores". The lowest maintenance, cheapest, hardiest fish are Goldfish.
Tetras are sole fish, they will kill each other.
You can get African Sichlids, they are tough (ish), but can get very territorial come nesting time, and they require a constant of 70* water temp.
Irradescent sharks are reasonably tough and none aggressive.
How old are your kids?

They are 8 and 10 but I will be helping to take care of them too. When I mean low maintenance I dont mean not taking care of them. Fish with normal mantenance that dont require special food and enviroment.

OK, so maybe no cichlids, they can get a bit aggressive, same family as "Oscars".
If you can keep there fingers out of the tank, cichlids are good, they won't rip the fingers off but will "nip" and can draw blood.
The oil/dirt on your hands can also compromise their environment.
Ciclhids are very interesting to watch, as they build a nest and defend there territory.

Dwarf Gourami. Available in beautiful colors like powder blue and starburst,peacefull community fish,grows to about 2.5-3 inches.

Clown loach;once again beautiful black and orange stripes,whiskers around its nose. Gregarious and very friendly. Sometimes called a weather loach as thier behavior can sometimes help predict the weather,allthough I've never noticed. Member of the catfish family and very hardy.Also helps clean the tank.

Beta's or siamese fighting fish. They are peacefull with everything except another male beta.Keep one male and 2 females min.Striking colors and fins!!!

Try not to get a big fish with a bunch of smaller guys,it will be the aggressor and take over the tank.

Pleco's I dont like. They are a nocturnal hunter and are omnivorus.I have lost many a fish to large pleco's,so maybe only keep em while thier small,but they grow fast and get big!!

male Guppies!!!!!

they are beautiful and somewhat fun to watch/playful (kids should like them). If had tetras with guppies do just fine.

The smaller the tank the more trouble it is keeping all the levels right with the water. My last tank was a 300 gallon Saltwater swim tank. Had a sump as well as the 2 overflow boxes full of bio balls for the biological filter, as well as a UV light and 2 canister filters. Was having a hell of a time keeping fish. Drained it, started over using nothing but ro water and never lost another one. Sorry about wandering off of your subject, but I would suggest reverse osmosis water for no matter what you do.....

The smaller the tank the more trouble it is keeping all the levels right with the water. My last tank was a 300 gallon Saltwater swim tank. Had a sump as well as the 2 overflow boxes full of bio balls for the biological filter, as well as a UV light and 2 canister filters. Was having a hell of a time keeping fish. Drained it, started over using nothing but ro water and never lost another one. Sorry about wandering off of your subject, but I would suggest reverse osmosis water for no matter what you do.....

You like big tanks too ink. Mines only 180 though.

Attachments

• DSC00011 (Custom).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 141
You like big tanks too ink. Mines only 180 though.
That looks great. When I get back I will try and find some pictures of ours when it was up and running. A while back we had our turtle tank, a 125 bottom drilled Saltwater swim, the 300 with a sump and a 40 gallon reef tank, all running at once. Maintaining them all was a nightmare. I will never have another bottom drilled tank again. Water changes were a weekly thing, until I emptied it and physically cleaned the grates. Had to do it like every 6 months. Tank had several meat eaters in it, kind of suspect that had something to do with it.

Wow that sure is nice! I keep a 25 gal which currently has 3 dwarf gouramies,2 clown loachs,1 salt n pepper catfish. I keep a low population,cant afford much more! It's fun,doesnt cost a lot and the kids love it!

Aquariums have been a part of my life as far back as I can remember! My Dad always kept one going for us kids and still does at age 78! Lol,my brother keeps it stocked up and cared for but Dad calls the shots..

i set up a sat water and never looked back... it was just really my luck...i lost more freshwater fish than salty probably due to the fact i worked with saltwater tanks at the Invertebrate exhibit at the National Zoo in DC... but to each his/her own i have seen just as many good looking freshwater as saltwater.

Neons, White Clouds, Red Tail Sharks (cat fish) Try a Placostomous, Cory cat! The last two will keep things clean, Also get a bio filter so you will be keeping the water ingood shape!

John B.

-
Back