FiTech EFI-4 600 HP Reviews

-

ed1946

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody installed the EFI-4 600 HP on anything, likes - dislikes or troubles. Trying to decide on which efi sytem works well and isn't too much trouble to install. Prices seem to be going down, I've seen this one less than $750. Already have tank, pump and fuel pressure regulator installed, just have to run fuel line.

I've been doing some similar research. I've pretty much ruled out FiTech based on many reports and user experiences along the lines of this one:

So have you narrowed down to a system? On Summit site the reviews are pretty good on the 30002 kit. I've been reading the holley sniper is pretty good. I wanted to keep under $1000 but don't know what I'll pick. I have read data logging is important. Probable helps to be computer literate also.

I'm pretty sure I am going to go with a Sniper - either that or stick with a carb. Probably something like 90% or more of users find that none of these systems is perfect on initial installation. Even the Sniper is not without its challenges. But from what I have seen, Holley has excellent support after the sale, and a growing base of knowledgeable users that have seen and solved most common problems, and can point you in the right troubleshooting direction. Case in point, @AndyF who is active here on FABO can also be found participating in the Holley Sniper support forums at Sniper EFI and he is a wealth of information on these systems.

I have the Fitech on a built 351w in my 66 Mustang, here's my 2 cents worth. The systems are sold as self tuning with minor setup, which is true but not as simple or quick as it sounds. I think that too many people bought the systems thinking they would just install and go and quite honestly don't really have the additional knowledge to check that the system is actually operating as it should, therefore there have been many complaints that the system doesn't work well. Its pretty cool to have all that data and adjustable parameters but if you don't understand them or know what they affect you can cause problems, then of course more complaints the system doesn't work.The water temp sensor and the O2 sensor that comes with the kit, at least when I bought mine a few years back were junk, maybe a 50/50 shot that they were close to any realistic values that they were feeding the computer, cheap enough to replace. As with any new or electronic systems there is bound to be some failures even with good R&D before hitting the market. The self tuning takes more time than expected, cranking and reving the engine in the garage doesn't tune the ecm. All of the companies have suffered some of the same grips that Fitech has beside their fuel command center, although there are some posts about the Edlebrock fuel command center that are similar, heat is an issue. The lack of improper fuel lines and return lines have created issues, also the improper venting of tanks has caused an issue. While I completely believe they have and are still problems I also know that there are many that work pretty good, mine is one of them. I originally bought the fuel command center to save money, ended up returning it and upgrading to a Tanks Inc take with the in-tank fuel pump and haven't look back. When I drive it I check on what its doing, I still do not believe I have reached my final set tune for optimum but for now the car runs good, starts good and hasn't left me stranded. There is a thread on the Chevelle forum that has almost every comment someone could think of as well as possible solutions to them as well. I am like most people when it comes to buying stuff for my car, I expect it to work the first time, however I have seen enough to know that life, or car parts are not always that way. As far as service, I always received good support when I had questions, unlike credit card companies though they only have a few people to help answer calls, no instant McDonald service from them

I just finished installing The Tank inc system with in tank pump. I'll go check the Chevelle forum.

Anybody installed the EFI-4 600 HP on anything, likes - dislikes or troubles. Trying to decide on which efi sytem works well and isn't too much trouble to install. Prices seem to be going down, I've seen this one less than $750. Already have tank, pump and fuel pressure regulator installed, just have to run fuel line.
I have run the Holley Sniper for two years and have had no problems with it except one issue from me not setting it up correctly. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but I have not had to make any adjustments at all on it. Bolted it on, let it learn, turn learn off and drive it.

I have the EFI-600 with FCC on my 408 and have had it for a few years and a couple thousand km. It is a basic set up and matched with a MSD 6AL box and 2 wire distributor. It has worked well but not without some issues which billsdartgt talks about above. I have had no problems (that I know about!) with any of the components installed. Exception is the handheld controller which is glitchy when left out in the sun. I have not hooked up the timing control yet but in the process of doing that.

The instructions are not all they could be and there is a learning curve. It is not plug and play as they say but it is close, at least for simple applications. There are a few simple inputs on the set up they neglect to mention but critical to the install (like PWM setting). Wiring install needs to be clean and there are known issues with interference but easy fix with attention to routing. The FCC does need a vent line back to the tank which somewhat negates the benefit (don't need a fuel return line but do need a vent line!). If you have a dual plane intake, make sure whatever unit you choose will work with that - Fitech says it does.

My FCC is gen 1 and they now have a new one out. There has been much criticism on the gen 1 FCC. Usually related to heat and vaporization in the unit. Some have modified to have a fuel return to the tank from the FCC to keep fuel cool. I insulated mine, insulated fuel lines and installed up at front of car (where battery was, its in trunk). No real issues with heat but I live in Alberta. In line fuel pump is not necessarily fool proof either.

The unit has good datalogging capability and just need to download to a laptop. I have not, nor had to, get into any custom tuning - yet. The car fires up immediately with good driveability and reliability.

You're gonna have the same issues on both sides (FItech or Holley) Facebook has a group dedicated to both of them and I followed both for over a year before I made up my mind and I decided on FItech. There is a wealth of knowledge for both products out there as well.

The key is setting it up and installing properly. Also, not expecting it to fix an existing problem.

If I could do it all over again, I'd go with a Edelbrock proflo. Mainly because I like the idea of port injection.

I have run my fitech for close to 4 years.
Issue I had was burning out external fuel pumps.
Currently trying to get engine to fire on first turn of key. Just needs some fine tuning but the snow started flying around here so car is parked

-
Back