FiTech EFI system

-
Perfect, Thanks again for the info.

Ok I have another question. Those of you that have not used the FCC and did an external fuel pump what did you do about your return line into the tank. Also did you do an intank pump or mounted somewhere else. Would the stock 5/16 line be big enough and how big of a return line do I need? Im trying to decide if I want to do it cleanly and not use the FCC. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

I went with the external pump. Some say the 5/16 is fine on the return but I figured for the money I've spent I'd do it right.
I ordered a sender with a 3/8 pick up and a 1/4 return built into it. Going to drill out the 1/4 tube and solder in a 3/8 tube. You can also just use a -6an bulkhead fitting in the sender for the return. Or... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65385

I was thinking of brazing in a return line in my current sender. Although its only a 5/16 supply. So Im assuming that is to small and I should upsize to the 3/8" sender from the sounds of it?

Did you go with the Walbro 255l/hr pump?

I've been reading through these posts and others about the Fitech setups. I have to say, it seems as if most concerns can be handled with a little time and diligence. Gonna have to get ahold of Johnny Pace to get mine ordered today.
Fyi, gonna have carb, billet distributor, coil, A/F meter, and carbed fuel pump for sale very soon.

My biggest fear at this time is twofold, first off mine will be going on a fresh motor with a hyd flat tappet cam, and I realize that if properly set up this shouldn't be an issue. But this unit also has been sitting on a shelf, new in the box since this last summer, which leads me to fear #2. With all of life's unknowns my project has been set back 6-12 months minimum. Will my odds for trouble increase with the FiTech and motor break in after sitting for 12-18 months on a shelf. Are there or will there be updated software/hardware. Im trying to stay informed on software and tuning issues from many different sources on the web and that's helping the anxiety, but there is still a little apprehension. Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now! :thumbsup:

All,

So my 367 cube motor is here! I have an Air Gap high rise manifold and am curious about hood clearance. I made quick look at the 650 DP and the FiTech looked slimmer. I want to run a 1" spacer under that Bad Boy. Anyone with any experience with this. I have a 73 Schwinger.

Thanks,
Marion

upload_2017-1-20_11-11-27.png

All,

So my 367 cube motor is here! I have an Air Gap high rise manifold and am curious about hood clearance. I made quick look at the 650 DP and the FiTech looked slimmer. I want to run a 1" spacer under that Bad Boy. Anyone with any experience with this. I have a 73 Schwinger.

Thanks,
Marion
You might want to VERY strongly consider the sniper... The fitech doesn't like anything other than a flat base (or very shallow drop) air cleaner. If hood clearance is at all an issue...the fitech isn't going to take a drop cleaner.

the fittings on the sniper are lower, so they accept a normal air cleaner assembly in most cases.
EFI KITS

upload_2017-1-20_11-14-34.png

Last edited:
You might want to VERY strongly consider the sniper... The fitech doesn't like anything other than a flat base (or very shallow drop) air cleaner. If hood clearance is at all an issue...the fitech isn't going to take a drop cleaner.

the fittings on the sniper are lower, so they accept a normal air cleaner assembly in most cases.
View attachment 1715009654
Well that isnt good. Even aftermarket drop base air cleaners dont fit?

Well that isnt good. Even aftermarket drop base air cleaners dont fit?
On the fitech? not real well no. those fittings are mounted high...and even a 45 or 90 degree hose end hits a common 2 inch drop air cleaner.

I'm sure other members here can correct me, or post what they are running, but i know every single engine we ship out of here with a fitech on it (which is alot). has a flat cleaner base, or at least an airhorn riser spacer

Hmmm interesting. Thank you, I do have the riser that I not using, but Im not sure if I can fit my air cleaner with that under my hood.

I have a drop based air cleaner on my Fitech.. Had to use a 45 or 90 degree elbow on the fuel line and then clock the air cleaner housing ( it has 2 indents on it), so the indent lines up with the fuel fitting, but it works fine. Think it was a Morosso base.

Like this one :
Moroso.jpg

I just used the fittings in the Fitech kit
There ya go! So you used the float bowl screw indents to make the fittings fit better. nice.

We don't use too many moroso bases here, so maybe they are a little less drop..or a little fatter than the ones we stock. good to know though thanks.

All,

I took a quick look and found this!

Marion

85-3549
$31.99 USD

K&N 85-3549 Metal Base Plate
Performance Products > Metal Base Plate

All,

I took a quick look and found this!

Marion

85-3549
$31.99 USD

K&N 85-3549 Metal Base Plate
Performance Products > Metal Base Plate
IDK what you'd be solving with that... It's a drop base. Thats the problem that needs corrected with a flat base, or a riser.

If you need a cheap flat chrome base, the cheapest way i see them is one of these kits.
Full-Flo Air Cleaner 14 in. Standard Proform 66804 - Pace Performance Parts

The riser is here...
Air Cleaner Risers Trans-Dapt Performance Products 2011 - Pace Performance Parts

we sell $5 plastic ones too, but they're junk... you don't want that.

IDK what you'd be solving with that... It's a drop base. Thats the problem that needs corrected with a flat base, or a riser.

If you need a cheap flat chrome base, the cheapest way i see them is one of these kits.
Full-Flo Air Cleaner 14 in. Standard Proform 66804 - Pace Performance Parts

The riser is here...
Air Cleaner Risers Trans-Dapt Performance Products 2011 - Pace Performance Parts

we sell $5 plastic ones too, but they're junk... you don't want that.

All,

Maybe I'm confused or not clear. I want to put a 1" phenolic spacer under my FiTech to increase performance. So I'm decreasing the space from the top of the FiTech TB to the bottom of the Hood. A dropped aircleaner would counteract this some or all IDK. I may not even have an issue at all as the FiTech TB is slimmer than my 650 DP. As I progress I'll figure it out.

Thanks,
Marion

Hi straightlinespeed,
I haven't installed my FiTech yet, because the our project isn't that far along. However, I've done a little research on this subject. The two most common options seem to be the following.

1) Hammer dent into drop base in the appropriate spots for linkage and fuel connections. This seems to be the most widely used option. The dents can't be seen once the air cleaner is installed.

2) Drop base with a air clean spacer. I believe Spectre makes the air cleaner spacers. They have all sorts of sizes available, just do a search. They are fairly cheap on eBay. I found one specific example on a Chevy forum site. The person used a Moroso 1-3/4 inch drop base with a 1/2 inch air cleaner spacer. Not sure if this combo only works for the Moroso drop base or not.

Again, I haven't personally tried either of these options, but there seems to be enough information on the net to indicate you can find a drop base combination that will work with a little finessing.

Travis

All,

Maybe I'm confused or not clear. I want to put a 1" phenolic spacer under my FiTech to increase performance. So I'm decreasing the space from the top of the FiTech TB to the bottom of the Hood. A dropped aircleaner would counteract this some or all IDK. I may not even have an issue at all as the FiTech TB is slimmer than my 650 DP. As I progress I'll figure it out.

Thanks,
Marion

Marion, adding a 1 inch carb spacer, and then adding a 1 inch drop base would leave the filter in the same spot. correct... BUTTTT the issue we were discussing above is that the fitech itself is FATTER than a carb in the "fuel fitting" area. so many drop base air cleaners do NOT fit it very well. (they hit the fittings and dont sit flat)

yes your theory is correct for hood clearance, but flawed in that not all drop base air cleaners sit well on the fitech. (without denting them...or piecing together a flat base, or air horn spacer as i posted above)

So I'm decreasing the space from the top of the FiTech TB to the bottom of the Hood. A dropped aircleaner would counteract this some or all IDK.

Yes, the drop base air cleaner drops the bottom of the air filter below the top of the FiTech, hence providing room for a taller air cleaner and/or making up for the 1 inch spacer under the FiTech. The main issue is that due to the shape of the FiTech, drop bases don't fit like they would a carberator or other throttle body, so you need to modify the drop base for clearance with the FiTech, or add a spacer between the top of the FiTech and the bottom of the drop base of the air cleaner.

Travis

Sorry Johnny, didn't mean to repeat what you had already replied. I'll wait for you to reply first in the future.

Travis
lol its not a problem at all. I imagine we were typing at the same time. all's input is welcome. This isn't just my rodeo :)

Yes, the drop base air cleaner drops the bottom of the air filter below the top of the FiTech, hence providing room for a taller air cleaner and/or making up for the 1 inch spacer under the FiTech. The main issue is that due to the shape of the FiTech, drop bases don't fit like they would a carberator or other throttle body, so you need to modify the drop base for clearance with the FiTech, or add a spacer between the top of the FiTech and the bottom of the drop base of the air cleaner.

Travis

Or, try the one I mentioned earlier first--- Just in case it fits in your application.?
( realizing that some will want a deeper drop than I used)
I made no alterations, just turned the base so the indents cleared the fuel inlet.. and no issues with the linkage .. In my circumstance.

-
Back