FiTech EFI system

Discussion in 'Fuel and Air Systems' started by 71duster06, Jul 24, 2015.

1. superchargeddrt

superchargeddrt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:43 AM
    I agree on the resistor plugs any radiation of EMI can cause issues with the throttle body trigger signal. My filter is for any noise that might be coming in on the 12 volt supply line (from the alternator brushes etc). It helped eliminate the noise issues with my FitFiT.

2. fklskv

fklskv Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Race car with no alternator here so I can rule that out

3. superchargeddrt

Local Time:
    Ah I see, well then it's definitely EMI. I would try the resistor plugs and in addition shield all of the wires going into the throttle body. Make sure that you ground the shielding.

4. subcom

subcom Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    2-Step Control Spark Cut Feature
    -----------------------------
    Just installed this new update on my 1200PA. There is absolutely no Fitech documentation on how this works. But basically you install the new firmware (T198i) on the ECU, new software on the handheld. Wire a 12v switch/button to the AC lead on the 4 pin extra connector that comes on the Power Adder models to trigger the spark cut. I've only briefly tested it with a temp switch and it seems to work, cutting spark and keeping the RPM down.
    IMG_7906.JPG IMG_7907.JPG

5. fklskv

fklskv Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    OOOooo. Thats getting my pulse up! Typical FiTech though. Turn over rocks to find info
    Thanks Subcom!!

6. superchargeddrt

Local Time:
    Nice feature, I have a 600 PA and as far as I know that 2 step feature isn't there. I am not using a supercharger this time around so I just removed the plug from the throttle body in preparation for my new NA 418 stroker. By the way did yours start right up? Did you get any "RPM Noise errors?

7. subcom

subcom Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    You may need the latest update for your particular model. I gather there isn't a universal firmware, but rather specific to your model.
    RPM Noise- yes, I used to get it and then I insulated everything with that Velcro backed shielding/insulation wrap. No more RPM noise related fault codes.

8. superchargeddrt

Local Time:
    Good job, I have to get some of the Velcro shielding this time around. I used aluminum foil encased in black woven wire casing last time, it was effective but not as pretty as I would have liked. Keep us informed and good luck.

9. Coyote Jack

Coyote Jack Member #55, I'm old FABO Gold Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    7:43 AM
    Where did you get the Velcro shielding from. I see some on Ebay but I'm not sure it's the right stuff. How much did you use?

Jack

10. subcom

subcom Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    I used the Ebay stuff. I think this one. Metallic Heat Shield Sleeve Insulated Wire Hose Cover Wrap Loom Tube 3/4" 6 Ft | eBay

I covered as much as possible. The entire length of the O2 lead cable, and the ignition cable going to my distributor I wrapped with that HVAC tape and then wrapped with wire loom. Not sure what ultimately cured the error code ills but after I wrapped those two items the fault codes went away.

11. Coyote Jack

Coyote Jack Member #55, I'm old FABO Gold Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    7:43 AM
    Thanks, got some ordered.

Jack

• Like Like x 1
    • SalC

SalC Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      5:43 AM
      May have found the answer to the 90 deg connectors many have been requesting of FiTech. Found these on Digikey's website and ordered a few. The power connector is a bit longer and sticks out but it's better than original for those seeking a 90 deg solution...

20180329_154309r.jpg

20180329_154254r.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • matthon

matthon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Those look perfect, do you have the Digi-key part numbers for those?

• SalC

SalC Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • MuuMuu101

MuuMuu101 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
          Local Time:
          3:43 AM
          I've got the money to make a jump on a Fitech in June, but I have some questions before I make the leap. This is what I got or am planning on getting. I even have a friend who is willing to give me a helping hand.

Engine:
          408 Stroker with Forged internals. Camshaft is a custom hydraulic roller with either a 238/242 or a 242/246 (cam specs were lost). Milodon road race pan. Engine Quest heads ported by IMM. Edelbrock LD4B intake that's port matched to the Engine Quest heads. 1-inch carb spacer. MSD Ready-to-Run Distributor. 34 degrees of total timing. Not sure how much vacuum but I don't think it's much because I couldn't run the vacuum advance on my MSD distributor. Engine made 523 hp and 522 ft-lbs of torque on the engine dyno.

My first question is, for a Fitech Fuel Injection system, should I switch out my LD4B for my Mopar M1 single plane intake? I will mostly be doing street/highway cruising but will autocross and road race the car. I know single plane intakes, generally, is meant for higher rpm operations, but I've heard of some people having trouble with the TBI fuel injections and dual plane intakes. Can the LD4B be a little too restrictive for my engine and do you think my 408 stroker would be more happy/forgiving with the M1 intake? A Fitech Rep told me that if I'm running 5-6" of vacuum I may need a laptop tune and that a single plane intake "may be more forgiving." I may be able to run the 1" spacer with the M1 intake.

My next set of questions is with regards to the parts I was planning on purchasing:
          Fitech MeanStreet (800HP)
          Tanks Inc EFI Tank
          JakeFab Fuel Puck
          Aeromotive 11540 In-Tank Fuel Pump (340gph)
          Tanks Inc Sending Unit

Am I missing any other parts I need to get? What do you guys recommend for fuel lines?

• famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
          ---------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^---------------------------------------------

I have just figured this out to, but my non resistor plugs are working fine ! (fast 2.0 )

• fklskv

fklskv Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          So here is my update. When I switched to aluminum heads I forgot I put resistor plugs in so thats not my problem. DARN IT!!

• subcom

subcom Well-Known Member

View My Photos
          Local Time:
          I run the dual plane RPM Air Gap on my 1200PA with a single Turbo. My motor is no where near as powerful as yours N/A but I think the dual plane works fine with the Fitech and I find mine has very streetable manners. I will be switching to a single plane Victor 340 that I have on the shelf, but that's just to see if it improves at the track (1/8 mile). Not sure if it will hurt street manners or not.

On your shopping list, make sure you run plenty of feed and return line. I have 1/2" (8an) feed and return on mine. They both terminate on an Aeromotive regulator. Good luck with the project.

• MuuMuu101

View My Photos
          Local Time:
          Thank you for your response. Yeah, I'm still on the fence about the intake swap. Do you have a link of some of the line you use?

• subcom

subcom Well-Known Member

View My Photos
          Local Time:
          I originally did both feed and return with 1/2" Aluminum line and AN fittings from Speedway.

Aluminum Fuel Line, 1/2 Inch O.D.

Fitech says not to use aluminum line, but the Speedway stuff has a thick wall and can handle up to 250psi. I recently replaced my feed line with ptfe stainless braided 8an 'cause I needed to re-position my fuel pump nearer my sump but I still have the aluminum return line.

• MuuMuu101

View My Photos
          Local Time:
          I'm thinking I'll leave the intake alone when I first start. That way I won't have to fiddle with timing or anything.

Cool! Thanks for the link.

• subcom

subcom Well-Known Member

View My Photos
          Local Time:
          Yep, I would do the same. I had a ready to run distro on mine also and was really happy with it. I eventually went with a msd knock-off distro that I now control from the fitech. Good luck!

• goldduster318

goldduster318 Overzealous Car Modifier

Local Time:
          No need for 1/2" line with EFI until you get into the 650-700hp range. Mine made 470hp and I have 3/8 feed and return and there is no issue. Look at a factory production car, I can only think of the Hellcats having 1/2" line OE.

I wouldn't use aluminum line on a street car since it is much easier to damage. Steel, or if that's too hard to bend, you can just do braided extruded teflon (aeroquip is the best). I used a reproduction 3/8" feed line for the feed and made my own section of return (and used the aeroquip braided teflon on the remaining sections where flex is needed). I doubt I'll ever have to mess with any of it.

20150919_125122.jpg

Also, you can pull the intake with the distributor in, or you can just mark it and stick it back right where it was, which is easy because of the screwdriver tip:
          20150921_092932.jpg

• wireweld

wireweld Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I am using the rpm dual plane on a 416 with 1200 pa. Dynoed at 600 hp and 585 tq. 8 AN feed and 6 AN return, Ptfe hose.

• famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
          I elected to run my lines inside the frame rail and thru the frame connectors, instead of going thru the tire well like the pic above. It was a bitch, cause I didn`t plan it that way to start with, wish I had.