fitting small block a body 833 into big block bell housing

-
I used to have a 440 bell housing and it had a larger input hole than my small block housing. Maybe a 383 bell has a the smaller hole?

Thanks for the 833 link. I guess I used to own a hemi bell housing and assumed it was the standard 383-440 bh... I probably gave that thing away for next to nothing lol . The only other question I have is about the z bar.Can I use the small block one? Or is there a different one for big block? Do all BB bell housings have the correct mounting location for the a body z bar? If not witch ones can I use.thanks for the help guys!

The big block Z bar is not the same as a small block one. Plus the ball stud bracket is big block specific also. The original bellhousings for '67 '68 '69 big block darts had a special mounting location for the ball stud bracket.
If you look here in the 4 speed frum you'll see a post where I modified a /6 Z bar to the big block dimentions. Plus I had to make an adaptor to mount my ball stud bracket to the Lakewood bellhousing.
I hope this helps.
Ted

The big block Z bar is not the same as a small block one. Plus the ball stud bracket is big block specific also. The original bellhousings for '67 '68 '69 big block darts had a special mounting location for the ball stud bracket.
If you look here in the 4 speed frum you'll see a post where I modified a /6 Z bar to the big block dimentions. Plus I had to make an adaptor to mount my ball stud bracket to the Lakewood bellhousing.
I hope this helps.
Ted

If he is using the stock iron 372 bell he can just use the 340 trans as is as they had the 4.35 bearing retainer hole. An alternative is to use the 70 up 513 alum bell as it is almost an exact copy of the 372 bell. It has the bosses in the same place to mount the A body bracket but has the 4.8 bearing retainer hole. As far as that goes either get the adaptor ring for the lakewood bell, brewer sells it, or get the bearing retainer that the 68-69 BB B body trans used.

He can also buy a repop A body BB Z bar.

Brewers sells all the adaptor rings for the small block trans to adapt to the big block bell housing and I think the earlyer 833s run the small retainer on some, It is no problem just give them a call they have the adaptor rings for around $25.00. I ran into it a couple years ago....later....

if your putting headers on make sure you get the right z bar TTI has there own that will only work with there headers

-
Back