Fixing A Paint Screwup

-

whitedawg

Reaction score
Today was nice enought to finally paint some plastic trim. Using my trustly rattlecan I painted several pieces and using a wire hangers hung them on my fence to dry. When I came back out a couple were on the ground and picked up bits of dirt gravel or whatever.
Is fine sandpaper the best way to clean them up for repaint

I would use some kinda paint stripper. Dont think I would want to scratch up the trim if I didnt have to.

When ya get em cleaned up, here's a tip for ya that will make your life better. For plastic stuff get you a spray can of "Bulldog" adhesion promoter. It helps the paint stick to plastic.
Small Block

When ya get em cleaned up, here's a tip for ya that will make your life better. For plastic stuff get you a spray can of "Bulldog" adhesion promoter. It helps the paint stick to plastic.
Small Block

Is that if the parts have been stripped or will it work if you are painting over the paint that is already there? I have some white painted exterior plastic trim that I need to paint black, should I strip it or paint over the paint?

Bulldog works good on paint also. I have never seen it in a spray can, mines in a gallon can.

I would use some kinda paint stripper. Dont think I would want to scratch up the trim if I didnt have to.

Don't use paint stripper on plastic, it will attack the plastic and make a mess of it. Dont' ask how I know! :(

since you used rattlecan paint. Just get yourself some acetone and wipe off the old paint. It will come right off. Then clean the part with some dish soap and water with a light scuff pad. Wipe part down with some Isopropyl alcohol. Then get some "bulldog" in a spray can which is great stuff BTW (it's about $15 a can). Do a couple light coats of it. Then light coats of your paint. Should turn out great.

Acetone will dissolve plastic faster than you can say Opps! Just the fumes will cause the plastic to craze and crack. I would stay away from acetone when trying to remove paint from plastic.

I think I would go with a fine scotchbrite pad and rub enough to get the dirt out and stop there.

-
Back