Fixing a Speedometer??

-

RDJ

Reaction score
My Speedometer just broke. I checked the cable and it seems fine. I have a 67 Barracuda with the 150 mph speedo.

Can these be fixed? Is it hard? Is there somebody who specializes in fixing speedos?

I have a 3 3/8" Autometer speedometer in my Dart and it looks like (more or less) the same size. Could be an option here.

How did you check the cable? A couple people on here have suggested a few ways to determine the issue. First have some one sit in the drivers seat remove the speedo cable from the transmission and try giving it a good flick. If the speedo moves the cable is fine. It could then be the transmission connector. I also found that you can turn the connector on the back of the speedo. If you seen the needle move the speedo is fine.

I am not sure you can repair one. The way they work is as the speedo cable spins it generates electricity that electricity is stored in the speedo which then converts it a mechanical motion of the gauge. Its really a lot like a generator except as far as I know there are no coiled wires.

The speedometer is not electric, it is magnetic. There are springs and bearings that fail with miles of use.

I have been using the services of this outfit in Denver for most of twenty years; they have not yet failed to quickly, economically, and completely repair the speedometers I send them (though I imagine sooner or later they might call and say "We can't fix this one, it's too far gone"; it hasn't yet happened).

I have been using the services of this outfit in Denver for most of twenty years; they have not yet failed to quickly, economically, and completely repair the speedometers I send them (though I imagine sooner or later they might call and say "We can't fix this one, it's too far gone"; it hasn't yet happened).

I have also used Deluxe Speedometer based upon SSD's recommendation. They've done both a US-spec (MPH speedo) and Euro-spec (KPH speedo) for a 65 Valiant for me with quick turn around at a fair price. X2 on SSD's recommendation!

I know on my 67 Dart when I first bought it the speedo was dead. Turns out the speedo gear in the trans was just all chewed up and not even engaging anymore. Would be worth a shot to check the cable at the trans like mentioned before pulling the dash out I would think.

Slantsixdan I don't want to sound like a know it all but... I looked at the way speedos work. You are right they spin magnetics which create eddy current this current is measured by the mechanical speedo and the gauge is moved. The link below explains what I am reffering to. We are technically both right I just didn't address the spinning magnetic part.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-speedometer-works.html

I know on my 67 Dart when I first bought it the speedo was dead. Turns out the speedo gear in the trans was just all chewed up and not even engaging anymore. Would be worth a shot to check the cable at the trans like mentioned before pulling the dash out I would think.

In a situation like this I would check to be sure the gear adapter was indexed correctly. The gear adaptor has to be rotated to the correct position to engage the teeth of the driven gear properly with the drive gear. It depends on the number of teeth on the driven gear. The adapters are usually marked to make proper instalation easier.

Yeah, the gear was long gone when I got the car. I'm guessing whoever put it in for me either screwed it up or put in a bad gear just to seal up the housing and keep fluid from filling up the cable. I made sure to check it when I put the new gear in, lol.

I pulled the speedo gear. It was OK. I little worn from the speedo seizing up. I put a cheap aftermarket speedo on the steering column (which works) until I get the speedo fixed.

I emailed Speedometer Deluxe that SSDan recommended. They got right back to me. The cost to fix it won't be much more than buying a new Autometer speedo.

Thanks for all the advice.

-
Back