Fixing up a kinda rusty gas tank

-

sazzlefrats

Reaction score
I have a 65 dart, the tank had some foul smelling and bright red gas in it. I've since drained the tank. I bought some por15 tank sealant, and looking inside the tank, the walls and floor of the tank are pretty clean, but the roof of the tank has a coat of rough rust.

Will the tank sealant do the trick?

Do i need a rust converter first?

well since you live here, take the tank to pankys radiator have them boil it out.go to san leandro color, they have a gas tank sealer called creme. it works great.and still alot cheaper than a new tank....

Buy a tank.
If you have to put **** in the tank
to seal it or control rust, its already too
far gone.
That tank will be a pox/curse on you
and your car the rest of your days.

After all the time/effort/cash/worry.... just add a few more dollars and
do yourself and your car,gas lines,carb,pump a favor and but a new tank in.
How much will you have to spend to have it prepped and sealed ? Then look at the cost of a new shinny tank that will never give you any problems.
my 2 cent's ..

I agree. I hate to admit it but. I just finished my restoration tried to save a couple of bucks on a tank and I was chasing fuel problems for weeks before I just purged all fuel lines drained the brown gas out of old tank threw away about $50 bucks in gas and installed a new tank.

The old tank was never stored in a damp place looked perfect inside but it's what you can't see that will get you. If you can spend the extra on a new tank it will save you a head ache. just my opinion. I have creamed a tank before on a motorcycle and it worked fine I just don't think I would do the same thing for my dodge..

Ebay right now buy it now of $134 with $29 shipping. You take into account the amount of time and the cream it starts looking pretty good.

So whats the quality difference between a fisher-evans, spectra, or an $120 reproduction tank from ebay? I've started to come to the conclusion based on all the chemicals I need that I absolutely no longer want to restore the gas tank. I already have a brand new fuel sending unit, brand new fuel line, might as well do a brand new fuel tank... and at $120 dang.... silly not to.. unless ...?

I agree with some of the others here, buy a new tank cause your old one is done. It's 100 bucks well spent, even coming from a cheap guy like me. Be sure to replace the filler neck rubber gasket at the same time too cause the old one will leak and you'll end up doing the job twice.

Ive had my ebay special in my 67 barracuda for 5 years now, best money I ever spent, get a new tank.

I have a 65 dart, the tank had some foul smelling and bright red gas in it. I've since drained the tank. I bought some por15 tank sealant, and looking inside the tank, the walls and floor of the tank are pretty clean, but the roof of the tank has a coat of rough rust.

Will the tank sealant do the trick?

Do i need a rust converter first?

Buy a new one. Some tanks can be cleaned and lined with good results. If you have that much rust scale on top it won't be long and you will start seeing holes.

The time and money you spend to fix it will be at least half if not more of the cost of a new one.

I'd replace the thing. Either with an aluminum or stainless steel one. Don't forget to replace the sender

In new tanks, I believe there are only two options, those made by Spectra in Canada, very good quality....and those made in Taiwan. I know which one I chose and it was still very reasonable, and worth every penny.

-
Back