Flaming River Manual Box

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This question is for those who have used the Flaming River manual steering box. Is there any steering play like the factory box? I've heard that it's a bear to turn but I will take it if the steering play is long gone. I've had my factory box rebuilt but it still has play no matter how many adjustments I make.

I don't remember any play when I had mine.That was over 10 years now.You will develop upper body strength, that's for sure. Like anything,it's all in what you get used to.Your tire size will have a lot to do with the steering effort.

I have one on my 68 Barracuda, No center play and great feel. Slightly quicker ratio than stock. Parking lots are challenging but worth it in my opinion.

Sent it to Lares thru Rockauto.com.

I was just wondering, cause I was going to have mine sent to Firm Feel for a rebuild. From what I hear there rebuilds and upgrade steering boxes are a good quality.

I was curious how a rebuilt FFI box stacks up against a new Flamming River box.

The Flaming river box starts with a brand new worm gear, so, there isn't really any play in the steering box.

As far as a rebuilt box, it depends on the box. Typically a rebuilt steering box doesn't get a new worm gear, it gets new bearings and seals. Which means if the worm gear is worn out on center, that play stays there. The only way to get rid of that is to install a new worm gear, and the availability of new worm gears for the Mopar manual boxes has been a little spotty. Looks like Firm Feel is offering fast ratio boxes again, which probably means they have some kind of supply of new worm gears. Call FFI and see what they say, they've always been very helpful when I called and talked to them.

I have a Flaming River 16:1 manual box in my Duster. Works great, although I'll say that with 275/35/18's up front and a few degrees of positive camber it's not the easiest thing to steer once you drop below 5mph. "Armstrong" steering, as they used to say. ;)

A friend has a GM manual F.R. box, in a Chevelle. He went wheels up launch, set down. The box has had huge side to side play since... Not knocking Flaming River,stuff does happen.

I wonder if the Flaming River worm gear assembly will swap into a factory box. Hmmm!

I wonder if the Flaming River worm gear assembly will swap into a factory box. Hmmm!

Why would it matter? I seriously doubt the Flaming River housing is weaker than the originals. If anything it's more compact, and probably quite a bit stronger. Unless you really want it to look like a stock steering box.

-
Back