Flap Disc

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
New to all this bodywork stuff. Just started to wire weld.
What are flap discs? When would I use them instead of regular sanding discs?
Received some in the sanding disc kit I purchased.
Thanks

use the flap discs to sand down your welds. Be carefull, don't use a lot of pressure and keep the wheel moving up and down the weld so you don't heat the metal too much. Good luck

Flap discs have layers of paper abrasive so they last longer than a single layer sanding disc. They can generate a lot of heat fast. An aggressive disc will cut faster and generate less heat because you're not "polishing" the weld you're trying to grind.

If you're not real experienced and making lumpy welds I suggest you take the edge of a cutoff wheel on a die grinder and grind/cut the "mountains" down first then finish them off with the flap or other disc.

First of all, welcome to the wacky world of whacking metal!
Next flap discs come in different grits. The coarser the grit the more aggressive. For general clean-up 60 grit is good, 40 will take steel down quickly, and 80 is good for cleaning up butt welds in sheet metal. Other than that the coarse ones are great for shaping wood!
Harbor freight has good ones at half the cost of the ones at HD.
Andrew

Right, what I was trying to say was if you're trying to knock down welds quickly without generating excessive heat then use a 40-60 grit. 80 grit will work but but tend take longer, thereby generating more heat, and "polish" the weld instead of knocking it down level quickly. If you have nice, flat welds to begin with you can get away with finer grits.

Personally, I find the finer grit flap discs don't last as long. Once they're worn down a just a little ways they kinda peter out. They will last longer than a single layer grinding disc though.

I've found the HF discs don't last anywhere near as long as the good ones from my LWS. No comparison. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for, but not always.

Thanks for all the info. Gona do some practice welds this week-end on some metal from an old IBM puter and a microwave. Will see what these discs will do.

Just remember, you can use those slap discs to slap more than one ho at a time.....oh, you said FLAP disc, sorry......nevermind.

I do want to see some pics though of your progress!!!

Someone ought to market this...."slap discs....for the pimp in all of us"

Just remember, you can use those slap discs to slap more than one ho at a time.....oh, you said FLAP disc, sorry......nevermind.

I do want to see some pics though of your progress!!!

Someone ought to market this...."slap discs....for the pimp in all of us"

Are you suggesting we all need to get in touch with our ''inner pimp''?

you must be talking about "Norton Wheels"
I personally love them but I love "flaps" even more and I'm quite certain I'd be banned if I posted a pic of those

-
Back