flat black paint????

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i 've had prefect body/paint cars and wouldn't drive and ENJOY them for fear of getting little booger in paint! ( backwhen i could afford such paint!)got 63 dart slant, car (was original black car but thats beside the point) but thinking of getting it down to bare metal and epoxy prime it and get strait as i can within reason and apply flat black enamel. somewhere i read where John Deere makes good enamel and cheap ( compared to auto paint). anybody with experience or experience here???? not sure if it would be ratrod , maybe just a slantrat!?? here thats sounds good! LOL

My only complaint from making a car flat black, was it looked really good - for about a week. IF you clear coated it, it wasn't flat anymore at all, and if it got dirty it was impossible to clean. If someone touched it, it put grey lines in the paint like suede, then you'd need to wash it again. Maybe it was the paint I used, but I would love if there were a way to keep it clean.

A member on here uses WD 40 on his flat black car.Rub it in with a soaked rag then buff with a clean soft cloth to remove excess. Watched him and his buddy do it at the track with about 10 minutes time. I thought dust would stick to it but the final buff took care of that. Looked good too.

There are matte auto paints and clear coats that hold up just the same as gloss. Or you can always go with plasti-dip!

If it gets scratched, go to ANY store and grab ANY can of flat black and it will match.:burnout:

i've hd 2 restored black paint cars, black ( real paint!) requires absolute perfect body work or any blem will show, and its impossible to keep clean for sure!!! the flat black was anu idea i'd never considered, maybe best to just work on each panel as i can, then seal it till i can have the whole car painted at once, i'm allergic to bout any paint just about kills me. thanks for the comments

My 70 AMX had a "Shadow Black hood" My late wife used to talk to herself trying to clean that flat black until she went in the house and brought out a can of "Pledge" and found out it works great. Just make sure you wipe it down good after putting it on. And NO it did not collect dust guys. I used it the other day on the Scamp and it worked great. Hope this helps some.

Jim

-
Back