Flat tap hyd ws mec

-

plymouth1937

Reaction score
Hi maby a stupid question but can you use a hyd flat tap cam and lock the lifters or run whid solid lifters if you go whid adj rockers iv onley used roller cams in my race car as long as i can remeber but now im building a 318 Street engine or do i have to go all mec even the cam

yes you can, that is a crude way of doing it but that is what the multi-piece solids are anyway, just a collar under the pushrod cup. Youll need adjustable rockers and a mechanical cam (debatable) and the correct pushrods.

yes you can, that is a crude way of doing it but that is what the multi-piece solids are anyway, just a collar under the pushrod cup. Youll need adjustable rockers and a mechanical cam (debatable) and the correct pushrods.
Ok thanks but as i wrote can you use a hydralic cam whid solid lifters if you have adjustable rockers

This can be debatable. Not saying it's the best idea but we did it often back in the late 60's.
The 68 340 4 speed cam with solid lifters and 273 rockers and pushrods. Worked then should work now.
Again DEBATABLE subject.

Last edited:
yes you can, its been done. Its gonna be rough on the valvetrain but it will work. Mechanical cams have a lead in ramp that is about lash height and that eases the lifter up to the valve then pops it open, same on the relief ramp. The hydraulics dont have this, the ramps are more aggressive with no 'lash ramps'. So it will be a bit harder on the valve train but if your using a street cam it should work. A high lift long duration race cam may take some valvetrain mods, stiffer springs.....

yes you can, its been done. Its gonna be rough on the valvetrain but it will work. Mechanical cams have a lead in ramp that is about lash height and that eases the lifter up to the valve then pops it open, same on the relief ramp. The hydraulics dont have this, the ramps are more aggressive with no 'lash ramps'. So it will be a bit harder on the valve train but if your using a street cam it should work. A high lift long duration race cam may take some valvetrain mods, stiffer springs.....
Ok thank you now i understand im going whid a mec cam and lifters

I do not think you should try it!!
I have been racing these car since they were Brand New =
I have seen it done several times and EVERY time the Cam has lobes going flat in just
a few miles or passes. the metal destroys the engine bearings and the engine is shot!!!

It is just not worth it for the price of a camshaft!

No problem at all. Keep the lash tight, 0.004-6" at operating temp.

People have done it for decades.

Solid lifters on hyd cams. I have done it myself many times, both FT & roller cams. I also know people who do the same.

In the Comp Cams lobes. the Max Area Lift rule FT lobes can be run either sol or hyd lifters. The DHI & DHX roller lobes can be used with hyd or sol lifters.
Sol lifters cams can never suffer from lifter pump up & the associated power loss.

With all of the available modern hydraulic grinds nowadays, there's just no reason to do it on a mild street car.

With all of the available modern hydraulic grinds nowadays, there's just no reason to do it on a mild street car.
More comfused now haha think il run a mec cam and lifters have a new set roller rockers so it will be a good street combo just hafto fix my cracked block gonna use lock and stich

I doubt you’ll find too many choices in a catalog that would really be appropriate for your build.

You’ll likely have to discuss it with your favorite cam grinder and have them grind one for you.
After the cores become available of course.

I doubt you’ll find too many choices in a catalog that would really be appropriate for your build.

You’ll likely have to discuss it with your favorite cam grinder and have them grind one for you.
After the cores become available of course.
Ok thanks

I assume it’s something to replace the 268H that failed, for this combo:
Specs:
318 std bore comp 9:1 ported 302 heads bigger ex valves roller rockers match ported mid rice intake eddy 750 msd 6al blaster coil 1 3/4 block huggers dual 2.5 ex stock 904 a500 4.10 rear all Street no race

If you felt the 268H was a good fit, then you’ll be looking for something that is basically the solid lifter equivalent to it.

Why the push to solid lifters.
Our 340 Stockers run routinely to 7300
thru the lights with a good hyd.lifter.
Isky single springs - Stock diameter and valve Ht.
I do not have a Dog in this fight.
Just curious why Solids = You like the sound?

Why the push to solid lifters.
Our 340 Stockers run routinely to 7300
thru the lights with a good hyd.lifter.
Isky single springs - Stock diameter and valve Ht.
I do not have a Dog in this fight.
Just curious why Solids = You like the sound?
Because of poor quality hydraulic lifters these days
It's kinda a crap shoot if you get a good set or not.
My 340 is on its 3rd set of lifters on a comp xe268h.
The current lifters are a set from a 1990's
Purple shaft.
They work as they should.
My next cam will be a solid flat for sure.
Also there's really no down side to solid they will almost always make more power imo.
I guess a little valve train noise
But the xe268 is just as noisy in my engine...lol
I agree with calling a cam company to spec out the best cam for the application.

We run Early Johnson Lifters which were also the vendor
in the early Mopar Perf. Purple Shaft cams. Also Shubecks which
also no longer available or easy to find.

Fortunately I hoarded about 15/20 sets when they were available.
I do not know anything about any new Hydraulic lifter or heard anything about
them

I did buy two sets of best HPmost high priced Comp Hyd. Lifters = they were expensive and Junk.
They would not stay pumped up at all and bent every pushrod in the engine. The clips were total junk as well.
I always replace all the clips on any of they with the correct size Tru Arc clip.

Hence the push towards solids.
I was referring specifically ONLY to Comp Lifters. No issues with the other ones that I was discussing
on here.
We are discussing a mild daily driver and not a race car. It will probably never seen over 5500 RPMs?

I was referring specifically ONLY to Comp Lifters. No issues with the other ones that I was discussing
on here.
We are discussing a mild daily driver and not a race car. It will probably never seen over 5500 RPMs?
I agree whid you the problem is obvestly the lifters its ok by me to go whid a 268 and hyd lifters and use my roller rockers but i dont want to tear down the engine a 3rd time becorse the lifters cant hold the hardning my disicion is to go whid a 268 cam and Howard hyd lifters

-
Back