Flex Hone

-

66dartman

Reaction score
What grit flex hone is best for re-ring jobs? I see Flex Hone has 120, 240, 320, 400 and even 600 grit hones, and different materials. I have used the silicon carbide, but I wonder if there's a better way.
Thanks in advance

If you check out the Brush Research Manufacturing website the can give you a lot of suggestions to what type of stones & grit to use. I think you are good with the silicone carbide. Grit is really gonna depend on what type of rings you are going to use. Cast rings usually use a 240 or 320 grit, moly rings will need a finer finish, 320+. If in doubt use the finer grit. Use the BRM honing oil or SAE 30 wt motor oil. WD-40 & other lighter oils will cause the bore to overheat & gouge the surface. The stones will just tear at the bore rather than cut it. You can't lube it too much. So use plenty of oil. Dont expect to remove much bore taper with a flex hone, they're not intended for that. Final finishing or deglazing they work fine.

I usually wrap my stones in scotchbrite and use WD40 as a lube/cleaner. If you're trying to get modern rings to seal on a wall with the visible scratches - that finish is too rough. I'd rather have a "smooth and lose" bore and have the rings seal quickly and the oil scrapers survive.

Thanks for the info, I am doing a re-ring on a 4.3 chevy with low miles, moly rings, sealed power says 400 grit so I am going to get 400 grit.

It's only during the full moon - for the dancing about the fire with the rest of the heathens :D
Quite exhilerating really but takes a while to heal up.

Good one.:joker:

When I first read it, I thought you wrote "...a while to HEAT up." I had to reread that, not even sure (still) what it could mean.

Of course, the WD40 is bound to reduce the chafing.

-
Back