Flex Plate Bolts...

-
Agree! Those look like they might be for a midplate application.
I would do some measuring before I threw a trans on with that converter!

It was confirmed to me from GTX John, who I bought the converter from, that my stock flex plate will work.

As far as cheap tools go, Husky does suck lol. Most of my sockets are Craftsman, Kobalt or whatever brand they sell at Ace Hardware I can't remember the name. For nicer pro-quality tools I like Cornwell but haven't had a need to buy any yet, might need a new 3/8"-drive ratchet soon my old Duralast POS has held up great but could be better.

I usually buy Kobalt tools, but the Husky set was on sale. So thats what I got for my non-professional needs they work pretty well.

All I have left is to hook everything uo to the transmission. My wife and I decided to call a truce on our bets because neither of us could live up to the loaing requirements lol.

Im sore as a dog these past couple of days from lifting and fighting with the transmission to get it back in place.

Last edited:
It was confirmed to me from GTX John, who I bought the converter from, that my stock flex plate will work.
It was confirmed to you from a LOT of people here! I think your main problem is what's starin back at you from the mirror! lol

It was confirmed to you from a LOT of people here! I think your main problem is what's starin back at you from the mirror! lol

I know and I used it. I was just replying to the most recent guys post. :thumbsup:

Oh I know I am the biggest culprit with wanting to buy more stuff than I actual need lol.

I know and I used it. I was just replying to the most recent guys post. :thumbsup:

Oh I know I am the biggest culprit with wanting to buy more stuff than I actual need lol.
I think that's probably true with each of us, though! I know it is with me. lol

If GTX John says it'll work, it'll work. I was just concerned by the length of the flexplate to converter lugs. When a mid-plate is used, the lugs get longer to make up for the thickness of the plate. If you try to put a midplate converter in a normal position trans, the extra length can bind up the front pump, and potentially destroy the trans.
I was never concerned about whether the stock flexplate would work. Drill the holes out and fly it!

Waited all week for these... not much difference between arp chrysler 7/16 bolts and "parts store" bolts besides the overall length... maybe 1/8 in the thickness of the head... none the less got the "correct" arp torque converter bolts. Oh and some fancy type F for firmer shifts. :thumbsup:

20220415_162122.jpg

Now I am lost. If you had the Chrysler ones, why get the ARP?

Now I am lost. If you had the Chrysler ones, why get the ARP?

No I didnt gave chrysler bolts. The ones on the left are the arp bolts for a chrysler 727/904. I should have been more clear on that, my apologies. The bolts on the right are the torque converter bolts I got from Oriellys that are 7/16 torque converter bolts.

Waited all week for these... not much difference between arp chrysler 7/16 bolts and "parts store" bolts besides the overall length... maybe 1/8 in the thickness of the head... none the less got the "correct" arp torque converter bolts. Oh and some fancy type F for firmer shifts. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1715908214
ARP bolt has the better looking finish, thinner head for additional clearance (application depending) looks to have more “shoulder” surface to contact the flexplate. The thread length is shorter so it would likely not bottom out in the converter mounts, but if one had to use spacers it might not have enough thread engagement. And cost more than typical bolts. Those are the only possible negative. The Oreilly bolts have extra length which would be the better choice if additional length was needed in cases where you have to space the converter and are obviously less costly. More differences than you might think:)

No I didnt gave chrysler bolts. The ones on the left are the arp bolts for a chrysler 727/904. I should have been more clear on that, my apologies. The bolts on the right are the torque converter bolts I got from Oriellys that are 7/16 torque converter bolts.
Nevermind.
:BangHead:

View attachment 1715908214

That hardware store garbage isn’t half the bolt the ARP is. Not even close. Glad you stepped up to the ARP bolt.

Nevermind.
:BangHead:

The ones on the right are not "chrysler" bol
That hardware store garbage isn’t half the bolt the ARP is. Not even close. Glad you stepped up to the ARP bolt.

Well its a not just a hardware store bolt, its a bolt that is made for the flexplate... i agree the arp bolts are much more shiny though. My newly painted and bent cover plate matches them well.

Now if only I could get these damn bellhousing to engine bolts to freaking thread... I would have been done weeks ago. What I want to do to my car right now... :elmer:

20220416_101656.jpg

20220415_164607.jpg

The ones on the right are not "chrysler" bol

Well its a not just a hardware store bolt, its a bolt that is made for the flexplate... i agree the arp bolts are much more shiny though. My newly painted and bent cover plate matches them well.

Now if only I could get these damn bellhousing to engine bolts to freaking thread... I would have been done weeks ago. What I want to do to my car right now... :elmer:

View attachment 1715908529

View attachment 1715908530

Cometic ought to be embarrassed and ashamed they send out junk like that.

First clue it’s garbage?? They sent out the bolts with lock washers. Never EVER use a lock washer on flywheel/flex plate bolts or torque converter bolts.

Ever.

If you are going to use a washer then it needs to be a parallel ground flat washer. It spreads out the load. Then you use locktite on the threads.

And you can tell even in the picture the treads aren’t rolled.

Just embarrassing.

Last edited:
-
Back