Flex Plate not flush with TC

-

Austin Schlegel

Reaction score
Hi,

I am mounting my 904 transmission up to the ole 318 and have found that the flex plate is not mounting directly up to the torque converter. If you look at the pictures you can see that there is about a 1/4" space between the fp and tc. I dont want to bolt them up because im afraid that that will dissengage the transmission oil pump from the tc. Is that much space normal?

Thanks

0326221802a.jpg

0326221802d.jpg

Hi,

I am mounting my 904 transmission up to the ole 318 and have found that the flex plate is not mounting directly up to the torque converter. If you look at the pictures you can see that there is about a 1/4" space between the fp and tc. I dont want to bolt them up because im afraid that that will dissengage the transmission oil pump from the tc. Is that much space normal?

Thanks

View attachment 1715896204

View attachment 1715896205
Did you replace the flex plate? If not just pull the converter towards the flex plate.

Slide the converter right on up and bolt it down.

Normal, bolt it up. Your converter is in correctly, it will go back further than the flexplate like you see. If it wasn’t in Correctly it would be tight right now.

Last edited:
Push the converter all the way into the transmission, measure the distance/space of a converter mounting pad to the flexplate. Then push the converter to the flexplate.
Never hurts to do those steps, especially when installing or changing parts: converter, flexplate to crankshaft bolts etc.

I am not sure what the tolerance is for Chrys, but you would NOT bolt up a GM FP with 1/4" clearance. In operation, the FP....flexes....& moves towards the block. So that 1/4" gap gets larger...& the c'ter might disengage the pump drive.
I would see if you can get another FP to compare to see if this one is bent.

you can check if it's bent by turning the motor over and checking the clearance at each of the 4 'ears' of the flexplate. if they're the same it's straight. there will always be a gap when the convertor is pushed all the way into the trans, often the convertor contacts the inside of the bellhousing until it's pulled forward to bolt up the flexplate. i'd bolt it up and not worry.
neil..

Instructions for my new PTC converter list not more that 1/8” or less than 1/16”. Won’t the hub bottom out in the crank?

Many converter companies suggest the ideal converter (when pushed into trans all the way) to flexplate clearance for the Torqueflite as being: 1/8”-3/16”
Anything more and you can add “hardened” washers or spacers between them to reduce the clearance. Must be hardened. Many converter companies suggest that as an acceptable practice. If you install certain fp to crank bolts you also may now have a case of those bolts hitting the
converter front plate when you attempt to push the converter up to the FP in which case you will need to add those washers to prevent that.
I had to add washers to prevent a Turbo Action converter from fouling the ARP crank/fp bolts on the B&M flexplate from fouling the converter. Also had to add washers with an FTI converter to take up excessive clearance between the converter and fp. Start changing parts and you gotta check both.

Last edited:
-
Back