Flex Plate

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Is it safe to drill the flexplate out from 3/8" to 7/16" for the converter mounting holes?
Or should I order a new one and be safe?
Chris, how much for a flex plate? It's for a 340 with an ATI converter.
Why do these places list balanced and unbalanced flexplates when the weight is supposed to be welded to the converter? :scratch:
Norm

I have drilled them out but I won't recommend it.
They move the weight (balancing) to the flexplate to give you more convertor options. You can use convertors for internal balance engines.

BBLM23 said:
I have drilled them out but I won't recommend it.
They move the weight (balancing) to the flexplate to give you more convertor options. You can use convertors for internal balance engines.
I didn't know they had done that. I couldn't figure out why they list so many different flexplates. There's like 9 different ones on Ati's site.
I could see a few. 3/8" and 7/16", then a combo of 6 bolt and 8 bolt. Now I got it, cause you add in balanced and unbalanced. But why big block and small block? They are the same. :?

For internal balance engines it doesn't matter if it's a big or small block. There are many varieties of external balance for big and small blocks...
Then add for SFI and Non-SFI...

Hey Norm, does your 340 have a forged crankshaft? If so, its internally balanced, and you don't need an external balanced converter/flex plate.

Most likely you'll need a 6 bolt flexplate unless you have a hemi crankshaft. (8 bolt) :wink:

Hope this helps!

Thanks Chris,
It was just odd that they listed so many.
The big blocks and small block with 6 bolt should be identical but they list different ones.

-
Back