Flex plate

-
727 and neutral balance converter.

Screenshot_20220525-214945_Gallery.jpg

Does your converter have a drain plug. If so the drain plug goes opposite the little hole in the flexplate. In post number 6 u can see it in the crank bolt circle. Kim

Since you can get the transmission separated pretty easy, take it back off, and then remove the flex plate from the motor. Line it up on the torque converter until all 4 flex plate to converter bolts will go in. While it is hanging there bolted to the converter, take some spray paint and hit one ear of the flex plate along with the converter. Take the flex plate back loose from the converter and bolt it back to the motor and torque it to 55 foot pounds. Reinstall your transmission to the engine and then line up the flex plate ear you painted to the converter mount that also got paint. Install your bolts that bolt the converter to the flex plate.
We all had to discover this the same way you have, and as you have found out, it pisses you off so bad you will never forget it! There is no locating pin and if I remember right, the flex plate to crank bolt holes won't line up if you try to bolt it on backwards. Good luck to you....you'll get it!

I thought at one time the little hole in the plates bolt circle was the weight offet to the convertor drain plug. ie make it line up? Or you can just spin it 90 and try again. oops Kimmer beat me to this, But who's right? Im thinking the 'plug weight offset' theory is not great enough to warrant another machine process in a flexplate when Chrysler was counting nickles of every car as profit margins.

Last edited:
OP...it's already been mentioned, but I agree this process is way easier to do outside of the car. I do mine on my bench. Get the holes lined up and then mark everything so they align without the guesswork. Makes life so much easier for future maintenance too.

To all . . . thank you for all of the suggestions. I ended up unbolting the tranny from the motor. Took the Flex plate off. I fitted the plate to the convertor, marked it. the little hole was opposite the drain plug. I reinstalled everything and now it's ready to go in the car. thanks for all of the advice

-
Back