Flexplate 360 question.

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
Ok. Im going from a 318 to a 360. The 360 is externally balanced. Can I use the stock "star" flexplate with my torque converter thats already on my 727 trans?

one of the items ...either the flexplate or the converter MUST have weights for the externally balanced 360...

if your 727 converter is from the 318....it will not have the weights....so the simple thing to do is either have the weights welded on or buy the b&m flexplate for a 360/727 combo

if it is a stock converter from a 318/727...then yes..

Are you sure you have a 727 in your car now? If you do and its the factory converter I still wouldn't use it because of the stall. Most likely you have a 904 and the 904 converter won't go in a 727. I'd keep the 904, maybe the factory converter because its likely higher stall, and get the B&M flexplate for the 360/904.

There are 2 different B&M flexplates for externally balancing a 360. One is bigger and works with the factory larger converters in the 727. It is also drilled for the smaller aftermarket and factory high stall 727 converters. The other flexplate is listed as the 360/904 one but would also work on the 727 but only with the smaller converters. The reason (I think) they don't just make the larger one is that it can hit the starter nose on the smaller 904. Either way they both balance by removing a big "bite" out of the circle rather then adding weight to the other side.

PS I think there was also a modern magnum 360 flexplate from B&M for the newer crate motors.

Nope i had pretty much the same problem. The tq converter or the flex plate needs to be balanced. The B&M balanced Flexplate would let you run your stock tq converter. I have a 727/360 one in the for sale adds.

-
Back