Not open for further replies.

jw133489

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
I have been working on my 1966 Barracuda restoration for some time. My latest stage is reworking the fuel tank. As I am planning on converting to fuel injection at some point in the future, I choose to replace the original fuel tank with one that included an in-tank fuel pump with return lines. When I went to remove the old fuel tank, I discovered the original had developed some pin holes as well as discovering the original filler neck was crusty with rust as corrosion as well. I also was planning on converting the gas cap to a flip top cap in the process and had purchased an original flip-top gas cap and one of the adapters made by FABO Member DAMRAIDER a number of years ago.

As I started to start putting all the bits together, I noticed the gas cap rubber gasket had multiple cracks and splits in it and started searching for a replacement seal. I was hoping to find one made out of Viton so it would be resistant to modern fuels but after searching multiple sites, all I could find was re-poped gas caps. I also found a number of threads on this site where people were looking for a replacement seal but never saw anyone state they were successful in sourcing one.

I decided to look for a source for the Viton material and make one for it as well to seal between the gas cap adapter and body and upgrade the original white foam gasket for the filler neck to the body. I am attaching a few pictures of the results below.

upload_2021-9-14_12-36-17.jpeg

Flip-Top Gas Cap

New Seal installed on Cap. Original seal on right.

Original seal on left. New seal on right.

Gas Cap Adapter and new seals.

If anyone is interested in any of these items, I still have some of the Viton material to make a few more. Not really interested in doing this as a business but will help others out if there is an interest. All seals are CNC cut from 1/16” Viton. The Viton sheet is fairly expensive so thinking about pricing them around $15 shipping included for US Addresses for one gasket and $30 for a set including 1 flip top cap seal, 2 adapter seals, and one body seal.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks!

Jesse

Last edited:
I'm looking to repair a few of the early A-body gas caps I have with cracked seals.

Nice work! How much extra to ship to K0L2H0(Those are zeros)Ontario Canada? Just need factory seals, no adapter seals needed.
Thanks
Steve

Hi All,

I guess there is a bit more demand for these things than I expected. I have sold all that I had material to produce.
I will order more Viton sheets and post an update when I receive it. Lead time is about 10 days to 2 weeks for me to get it. Sorry for any delays.

Thanks,

Jesse

Nice work! How much extra to ship to K0L2H0(Those are zeros)Ontario Canada? Just need factory seals, no adapter seals needed.
Thanks
Steve

Steve,
I am mailing items via the US Postal service in a letter envelope first class mail. looks like the mailing rate to canada will be around $5 usd.

I sold all of the items I had material to make and have ordered another batch. Lead time on my last order was 10 days to 2 weeks to get the material so it will be probably around the first of October before I can ship any more out. The Factory seals are $15 each plus $5 extra to get them to you in Canada. if you are OK with the wait, send me a PM so I can keep track of the requests.

I had JW133489 make me the ones that fit the '66 and earlier A-body factory cap. Maybe the same seal for the '67-70? They fit and work perfect. Just make sure your filler neck is undamaged. I've run across many of them that were modified to fit the later caps, and that modification (making the hole bigger) ruined them for returning them back to the original cap. Usually the stops get bent and the factory cap will just spin around, or, just catch on one side. These new seals will make your cap fit very tight. If the hole is damaged too much, I doubt the cap will hold on and seal properly.

So I have got re-supplied with more viton and have added to what I had before. Hopefully it will show up below as I have been struggling with getting my pictures to post...

Attachments

• Cap Ad 2.pdf
    562.6 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back