Flooded Mopar..

-

Opee

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a 1972 Duster 340 #matching car. The frist part of Dec this last year some parts of the NW for flooded, and my car was one of them. I have owned that car for close to 12 years, was in storge at my grandmas place. It was in need of a total rebuild when I got it, just was waiting for the time and money to do soo.
frown.gif

So what I am asking is dose anyone have anyideas what it might all take to clean this guy up. I have talked to a few friends at the pub I go to and they are saying let the car go. I cant let that happen.
frown.gif

Any info, tips, ideas, anything would be very helpfull. As of right now its been sitting for 2 months and nothing has been done to it after this flood. I guess the car was flooded up to the top.
frown.gif

Thanks for your input..
Opee

Longer it sits the worse it gets. All the moisture holding materials need to come out of it. Gut it !

Better get a start on it pretty quick..... It should be salvagable but it will not be pretty....Lets see some pics....

As stated above, get all soft stuff out, including seats, dash pad, carpet, door panels, etc. Dry out the floor and remove the body plugs to allow water to drain. Depending on the type of water, (salt or extremely dirty) you'll want to pressure wash or flush it with a hose. I would also unplug all electrical connectors (mark them if you need to) and allow them to dry, too. After the water is out, either pull it out in the sun or place a small space heater in it to assist in drying thoroughly.

Two months is a long time, particularly if it's salt water. You need to do something with it real soon if you have any hopes of saving it. Good luck with it.

dont for get the water in the motor trans and rear. you might want to start the restoration process.

You basically need to do a complete restoration. But the good news is you already have most of what you'll need.. It's just a matter of getting it taken apart and cleaned up before it has a chance to rot. That's easier said than done, of course. But still relatively easy compared to reviving a rust bucket or badly molested example.

Lots of pieces that should have never seen water weren't even primed. The wd in WD40 stands for water displacement. It aint cheap by the gallon and a pump spray bottle tires the hand but you can save parts from the headlinner bows down with that stuff.

Start at one end and flush it all out. Rebuild the drivetrain. It is sad but can be overcome
good luck
or find a buyer

The only good thing was that the engine and trans was never in the car. I got the car as a builder. I already had the front seats out, and the carpet when I had it at my moms place when I lived their over 12 years ago. I got the car when I was 16, and now I’m 28. No real place to do what I want to it right now, but going to have to find a place now. It wasn’t salt water, just flood river water. Some of the plugs where already pulled when moved it to my grandma's for storage.

Thanks for your guys input, looks like I have alot more work then I thought.

Opee

-
Back